Pro's and con's of A.R.C. ?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Inquiring minds want to know ...

A number of threads have mentioned A.R.C.'ed cartridges ... which I believe stands for Auto Reset Chips.

Also, I've seen a number of eBay and Amazon vendors with ARC carts.

Do these allow older carts to be used with printers that expect a chipped cart? Is that the point, or am I missing something? For example, using an older cart in a Pro-9000-2 that expects a CLI-8?

My uninformed speculation is that ARC'ed carts were popular before chip resetters were available, but that seems obsolete. Or do I yet again have a flawed understanding? Clueless?

Or perhaps the actual ARC (without cart) for someone with an inventory of old carts might be cost-effective?

Or to avoid the purchase of a chip resetter? I am usually pretty frugal (wife would be rolling eyes ... that's an understatement), but that seems like false economy ... "penny wise and pound foolish". But what am I missing?

Or to build a 2nd or 3rd set of carts to use in a newer printer, and avoid paying OEM prices?

But ... continuing with my CLI-8 specific example for the 9000-2, are there empty CLI-8 carts available from reliable sources? That would seem like a preferred solution over ARC'ed carts.

BTW, I sometimes see posts on this forum and others advocating getting a certain rebated printer [fill in the blank] because it has $120 to $150 worth of ink in it. Not really ... anyone can get a complete set of 8 Canon OEM CLI-8 cartridges for about $90 or less from Adorama ... althought I'm not necessarily advocating that.