Propylene Glycol - Just received 1 Quart shipped from Amazon

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
How much was it there? When I called around the local pharmacies they all wanted like $30 for 4 - 8 oz.

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
I'm surprised they even talked to you, a lot of them refuse to sell unless you can come up with a legitimate medical need. Best alternative is "I'm making hand cream". It really is ridiculous.

I wonder about the "additives" in that antifreeze, but it does basically say it's still non-toxic if ingested. Oh well, I guess I'll wait until I need other stuff from Amazon. Need "blank fluid" for when I'm changing inks or trying to clean up a used printer, though I've pretty much given up on the 1400 at this point.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Fenrir Enterprises said:
I wonder about the "additives" in that antifreeze, but it does basically say it's still non-toxic if ingested.
Non-toxic to you, but not necessarily to your printer.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I once killed a cat I loved by leaving a bucket of drained antifreeze open in my garage. I was told later that it tastes sweet and is very poisonous. It attacks the kidneys! I did read above that this is not the same exact chemical that was ordered from Amazon but please be careful with it anyway!

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I thought I'd research this a bit and I want to share this information for the safety of my fellow members. I just read this...{.Propylene Glycol (PG, Polyethylene Glycol (PEG), and Ethylene Glycol (EG) are all petroleum derivatives that act as solvents, surfactants, and wetting agents. They can easily penetrate the skin, and can weaken protein and cellular structure. In fact, PG penetrates the skin so quickly that the EPA warns factory workers to avoid skin contact, to prevent brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities. PG is present in many stick deodorants, often in heavier concentration than in most industrial applications. (Nyack, Dr. Vin, Ph.D., Biochemist; personal communication). And Propylene Glycol is what is used to carry the ?active? ingredients in those transdermal patches INTO YOUR BODY

Imagine a bottle of Anti-Freeze in a picture with shampoos, deodorants, cosmetics, lotions and toothpastes?

The question you should be asking is ?. What?s Anti-Freeze doing IN my shampoos, deodorants, cosmetics, lotions and toothpaste?

Yes, the main ingredient in anti-freeze is in all of these products.

Shocked? You should be!} Unquote! Please be careful!

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've seen a few sites that post some really bad information about Propylene Glycol and make PG sound as dangerous, if not worse, than Ethylene Glycol. From my limited understanding and opinion:

1) They are VERY different. One will kill you and/or mess you up (Ethylene Glycol) and one is pretty safe and used in a ton of applications, OK'd by the FDA, and isn't something that you'd need to be paranoid about unless you're drinking tons of it.
2) Some of the sites that are pushing how terrible Propylene Glycol is are either misinformed or pushing an agenda and against anything that isn't 100% natural, organic, and made from rainbows.

Again, I'm no expert, but based on what I've read, I'm not terribly concerned about skin contact or even a little ingestion of PG. Again, to reiterate what has been said about 20 times on this forum:

KEEP AWAY from Ethylene Glycol (regular antifreeze) that stuff is dangerous!

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
OutOfTheInkwell, Ixnay. From the MSDS: "Propylene glycol (PG or MPG) is a colorless, odorless liquid1 which is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 21 CFR 184.1666, for use as a direct food additive under the conditions prescribed." It's also not a skin sensitizer or a carcinogen. http://www.dow.com/productsafety/finder/prog.htm It's used in foods and cosmetics, among other things. That does not mean that you can drink it, however.

You're confusing it with ethylene glycol, which is quite toxic, and which is the main ingredient in automotive antifreeze.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
After reading some other sites on this I see your correct, however if anyone is going to drink the stuff please fell free to have my share! Truth is it's hard to know exactly what is safe and what is not and from what I have read, and again , I realize there is a lot of misinformation out there, the chemical companies have added about 100,000 new chemicals to the environment since the 1940's. That is one thing I can believe because I've been around since 1934 and have seen Cancer and carcinogenic products escalate. I've also seen over the years many articles that claim complete safety for various chemicals only to see down the line a complete reversal of that report on a whole host of things. I am not paranoid but I am careful.