Proper way to dispose ink?

PenguinLust

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon PIXMA MG6120
I just emptied my cats' boxes, so I was thinking of dumping some of that into the litter, once it's in the garbage bag. I think a couple of oz of ink per box of litter is probably a safe ratio. I also have some old motor oil I have to bring to a garage. I wonder how much trouble that would give to the refiners, who are expecting a lot of nastiness in the oil, but not ink.

John R

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100
The proper way to dispose of ink, or really anything, is to know what components are in it - especially if the components are hazardous. I don't know what ink you're using, but say you had a bunch of genuine Epson black T252 cartridges. The data sheet for that is https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/msds/t252120.pdf which lists water, glycerols, "proprietary organic materials," carbon black, and TEGBE. The data sheets never tell you how to dispose of stuff, but they tend to tell you what NOT to do.

Mixing it with motor oil isn't a good idea since you can't guarantee to know how the oil is going to be processed and most recyclers want you to sign that you only gave them used motor oil. It also doesn't look like it would qualify as household hazardous waste like paint. If you have a small enough amount, drying it out with sawdust/kitty litter/shredded paper would probably be best since that would be the same as printing it on a page and throwing the printed page away.