1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: A Basic Question on Linen Paper?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Profiling software is different! Ugh!!!

Discussion in 'Printing Photos and Photo Software' started by W. Fisher, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Jun 3, 2018
    W. Fisher

W. Fisher Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    Epsons, Canons, Brother.
    Trying to make a profile for the new dye inks in a 3880.

1. Using a Colormunki Photo and their new iStudio software, the prints looked bluish.

2. Pulled out the i1 PhotoPro 2 and made one using the iProfiler and pretty much the same thing happened.

3. Frustrated, I fired up BasICColor Catch 5 and it said a new update. Got it. Checked their dropRGB 2, which makes the profile from Catch 5, and it was current and no update was needed. Made a profile using the i1 PhotoPro 2 head as above.

Wow! They are different! The old bluish of the x-rite software is gone, and the BasICColor is better. Same i1PhotoPro 2 head in both, same paper, ink, printer using Qimage Ultimate to make the following side-by-side print, computer, but much different in looks. Different color and contrast both.

I HATE COLOR MANAGEMENT!!!

W.F.

Attached Files:

2. Jun 3, 2018
    Ink stained Fingers

Ink stained Fingers Printer Master

Printer Model:
    L310, L382, L800, Pro 7600
    rather consider it a challenge........... there are probably some variables causing such wide differences - a different spectro/instrument - different driver settings to print the patch sheets . different software settings to calculate the profile and probably more - did you specifically control the settings to create V2 icc-profiles with all your software ? Different version settings can cause such colour casts.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  3. Jun 3, 2018
    W. Fisher

W. Fisher Fan of Printing

Printer Model:
    Epsons, Canons, Brother.
    Same i1 PhotoPro 2 spectro head used on both softwares. Same V2 setting in all too.

Only thing different was X-rite i1Profiler prints their four pages of color calibration charts from within their software, whereas BasICColor Catch 5 does not print the charts within it, but instead I have to use Qimage Ultimate to print that one page color chart (Out of their Catch 5 software) which is my normal printing method.

Has to be something different there perhaps...

I know with Catch 5 I can spot a low ink load percentage from the Epson on a given paper easier once the chart has been scanned with the i1 PhotoPro 2 head (The printed patches are lighter than their reference which means more ink is needed.). I upped the ink load by 20% and it seemed to like that better over the default 0% and 35% ink loading that I also tried.

W.F.