Profiling Matte Papers

KeithM

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P800 & Canon Pro-2000
You may know the refill ink company precisioncolors.com, the owner is thriving to match his inks with the OEM inks as much as possible, it is my understanding that the Canon Pro-1000 and Pro-2000 are using the same profiles which makes it possible to compare your profiles with the precisioncolor (PC) profiles.

When I look up the black point value of the PaloDuro Etching paper I'm getting a Lab value of 19.1 0.85 1.8 , a luminance of L= 19.1 is not very dark, not much darker than copy paper , and I have the impression that this matches your results pretty closely. You may download the PC profiles to compare them with your results.
Thank you @Ink stained Fingers, I think this may be the real answer. The best L value I could achieve was 17.86, so slightly darker than PC is reporting. I think I will measure the black point using the Red River profile and see if it is any darker. This may be the most I can get out of this paper.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I think I will measure the black point using the Red River profile and see if it is any darker. This may be the most I can get out of this paper.
You are using the original Canon inks for your profiles, the PC profile is measured with the specific PC black ink, not the OEM ink, this may explain some/most of the variations - 17.86 to 19.1. - and it's another printer which may cause another small variation. You can download their profiles and compare them with yours.

Last edited:

KeithM

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson P800 & Canon Pro-2000
You may know the refill ink company precisioncolors.com, the owner is thriving to match his inks with the OEM inks as much as possible, it is my understanding that the Canon Pro-1000 and Pro-2000 are using the same profiles which makes it possible to compare your profiles with the precisioncolor (PC) profiles.
This is very interesting indeed. My profile and the Precision Colors profile lay on top of each other and look almost like the same profile. Gamut volumes are within a few % of each other.

Next step for me is to make some test prints using my profile and the Red River onw and see what differences show up.

Thanks for sticking with me on this one -you have been very helpful!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Next step for me is to make some test prints using my profile and the Red River onw and see what differences show up.

Going after these profiles shows the complexity creating and handling them incl. risks for errors - I could assume that something went wrong during the profiling process for RR , it could be that some patch sheet readings got assigned a wrong name; but that's part of the fun. I would not spend much time anymore with those profiles which you have identified as problematic.