Profiling - A n00b adventure...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
But @stratman insistence on giving me fainting spells with his latest outrageous cash outbursts and this has caused me to respond with a few comments !
:yuckyuck

My accountant was speechless over my wanton spending of $34 (after rebate)! Am I in an alternate universe?

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Last post in the first round...

Probably the obvious thing I forgot but probably should share is my first profile result. Even though my first profile is based on a "wet" target, I found that many of the comments about improved photos were very much, on the money!

Comparing two sets of photos based on stock Pro-10 profiles and the custom profile I'd generated I was struck but just how much better the result was in terms of detail, shadow, and just in general. Granted I won't be looking to create profiles that tweak that last 0.001% of improvement but I think it's fair to say I'm a convert...

Profiling and color management for me seems to be like a "bottomless pit" and my method of profiling is much cheaper (free testversion available) and the experts may rise eyebrows:
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/making-a-printer-profile-by-using-your-digital-camera.7426/
If I would have a "pro" printer I would buy me colrimeter too, but for now this would cost more than my printers...
So I am looking forward to see samples / comparisons of your "noob" results. It may be hard to show on the monitor - but with two prints side by side on a scanner one could get at least an impression of the result. I tried this once to show my results with colymp:
http://forum.colymp.com/download/file.php?id=14&sid=45ea8a6726023b458d59cc421183bdd1

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Todays lesson is that patience would be seriously valuable if you could purchase it as a commodity...
:rant

But as we're fresh out, lots of deep breathing and a few learned lessons to impart... :fl

1. Less haste, more speed is definitely the way forward... Trying to zip through reading strips is a total waste of time... Take your time, breath...

2. ArgyllCMS produces target prints that don't fit the i1Pro IO reader board slots so it's worth reducing the target printout by at least 10-15% to get it to fit.

3. If you're using the CAP480.bat batch file you will need to have put the AdobeRGB1998.icc file in your Argyll_V1.x.x/bin folder or it'll crash out complaining about it.

3a. If you do crash out you won't be able to get it to recognise the existance of the ti3 file unless you re-create the target profile again. No idea why but worth knowing if you're struggling with "But it's right ****ing there you dumb *** machine!" in response to "Can't find the ti3 file... BYE!!"...

4. It does take quite a while for a 480 patch profile to be created with ArgyllCMS

Beyond that I'm really wishing I hadn't thrown out my old artist drawing board with it's wire mounted rule/rest as that would have been an absolute boon to the process of reading!

Right, time for a break:weee

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
... and just as an addendum. I've just done a 480 profile with 85% scaling so it fits the i1Pro reader board.

Makes a significant difference to the reading process but what I found really made a difference was the lightest touch to guide the reader, the lighter the better. It's something that takes practice to master but I cut my reading time (read: number of reading errors!) by a factor of three by relaxing and taking my time.

T'is the little things...

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@websnail
2. ArgyllCMS produces target prints that don't fit the i1Pro IO reader board slots so it's worth reducing the target printout by at least 10-15% to get it to fit.

3. If you're using the CAP480.bat batch file you will need to have put the AdobeRGB1998.icc file in your Argyll_V1.x.x/bin folder or it'll crash out complaining about it.

Thanks for those comments, regarding AdobeRGB1998, that is an omission from my post#1, which I will correct.

Have you experimented with the printtarg options in the CAP480.bat file?

printtarg -v -ii1 -a1.05 -A0.6 -T300 -R21 -m2 -P -p210x297 %pcn2%

The -a and the -A are sizing factors which may allow you to adjust the patches to suit your reader.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for those comments, regarding AdobeRGB1998, that is an omission from my post#1, which I will correct.
I actually didn't realise it was missing but glad it was useful... Probably equally useful to know how to resolve the missing file issue in other circumstances too though so it's an ill wind n'all that.. :)

Have you experimented with the printtarg options in the CAP480.bat file?

printtarg -v -ii1 -a1.05 -A0.6 -T300 -R21 -m2 -P -p210x297 %pcn2%

The -a and the -A are sizing factors which may allow you to adjust the patches to suit your reader.
Ah... no, I hadn't... In truth I was just kicking the tyres to see how it all worked and if it worked. Thank-you for the tip...

In terms of the reader though... At this stage I'm learning that you can easily create "error" hell for yourself if you try to push your reader to its limits so for now I'm not going to go there. It's bad enough as it is!
:barnie

;)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
So, I figure in the best kept traditions of forum membership I'd share this little journey with you as I discover the world of profiling or as @The Hat calls it "You can kiss your free time goodbye now". So, let us begin...
Just keeping you on the straight and narrow… :clap