Profiles for Canon Papers / Formulabs Inks ?

mmcmusnret

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Anyone got them for iP8500 (9900 works, too)? I have some paper left over (mostly Plus Glossy, but some Pro and Matte, too) from my pre-refilling-and-conversion-to-Kirkland-paper days that I would like to use up someday. I have Profile Prism but thought that perhaps someone would already have them, maybe colorimeter-based.

Grandad, if you read this I'd like to join the many who extend their thanks to you...your iP9900 profiles work better than my Prism profile, although I have to admit I only printed one photo with the Prism profile before switching back to yours. If I ever go to a paper for which you have not provided a profile (like Red River) Profile Prism and it's profile editing capabilities may still come in handy.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
mmcmusnret,

Glad to be of help, especially to a member of our military - thanks for your service.

Unfortunately, an upgrade to my profiling software included a limitation that I can no longer share profiles - they can only be generated for the specific printer used to print the targets. I assume that this was added at the request of those who sell profiles and have a "commercial" license. It's not just the printer suppliers who change things to make it difficult for us to use their products as we wish.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
are you talking about Xrite PM5 or license?

Eyeone macth license says:

(iii) to create a profile, as part of Your providing a profiling service, for a specific input or output device owned by a third party for use by that third party on such device.

So you can make and sell profiles just like with PM5.
But we are free to sell them for 1$ or so to our friends etc :)

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Smile said:
Eyeone macbeth license says:

(iii) to create a profile, as part of Your providing a profiling service, for a specific input or output device owned by a third party for use by that third party on such device.

So you can make and sell profiles just like with PM5.
But we are free to sell them for 1$ or so to our friends etc :)
I have an I1.

Yes, you can make and sell profiles for $1 (you can even give them away if you wish). However, under the current license restrictions a set of targets must be printed on each printer to be profiled, then each set of printed targets must be scanned and a custom profile generated for that printer. The resulting profile can only be used on that specific printer and cannot be published as a "generic" profile to be used on other printers. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a similar restriction on profiles generated with other packages (e.g. Profile Prism).

If you read the sales literature before you buy such a unit, there is no mention of these restrictions. The last time that I checked (a year or so ago), I could not find any mention of these restrictions on the I1 website, even when I specifically searched for them. You only find the restrictions after breaking the seal on the package (making it non-returnable) and installing the software (and reading the lengthy fine print before clicking "I accept"). Is this fair? Probably even less so than putting chips on ink carts.

marceltho

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Grandad35 wrote:
Yes, you can make and sell profiles for $1 (you can even give them away if you wish). However, under the current license restrictions a set of targets must be printed on each printer to be profiled, then each set of printed targets must be scanned and a custom profile generated for that printer. The resulting profile can only be used on that specific printer and cannot be published as a "generic" profile to be used on other printers. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a similar restriction on profiles generated with other packages (e.g. Profile Prism).

If you read the sales literature before you buy such a unit, there is no mention of these restrictions. The last time that I checked (a year or so ago), I could not find any mention of these restrictions on the I1 website, even when I specifically searched for them. You only find the restrictions after breaking the seal on the package (making it non-returnable) and installing the software (and reading the lengthy fine print before clicking "I accept"). Is this fair? Probably even less so than putting chips on ink carts.
Grandad35
I have a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mark 11, use Hobbicolors and Kirkland Glossy Photo Paper. Let's say I have made my own custom profile for this combination.

Questions:
* can we assume that, using my custom made profile, by someone else with the same printer, ink and paper, wil give the same result as me ?
* if that would be the case, all what is written in the quote above can be avoided ? ( set of targets must be printed...etc etc )
* would it be a good idea to set up some sort of data base for profiles on this forum?

Not trying to go in a really commercial direction, but a lot of people could be helped in this way, not all of them, but still a lot. And some of the members could get a few bucks back on their investment on their profiling software.

Perhaps this should be a seperate topic.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
marceltho said:
Questions:
* can we assume that, using my custom made profile, by someone else with the same printer, ink and paper, wil give the same result as me ?
* if that would be the case, all what is written in the quote above can be avoided ? ( set of targets must be printed...etc etc )
* would it be a good idea to set up some sort of data base for profiles on this forum?

Not trying to go in a really commercial direction, but a lot of people could be helped in this way, not all of them, but still a lot. And some of the members could get a few bucks back on their investment on their profiling software.
1. Yes. Excluding the print heads, the difference between printers is small (if any). There may be differences between print heads, but that is true even for the same printer.
2. I'm not a lawyer, but the wording in the license restrictions seems to specifically cover this case.
3. Yes, it would be a good idea; and I started to do this before I found out about the license restrictions - that's why I stopped posting profiles.