profile multicolor pixma PIXMA Pro9000

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
How to profile PIXMA Pro9000, since it uses RED and green inks it is a multicolor device. 8 separate ink tanks.

In profilemaker I can choose multicolor

newtest.png

and then I need to choose color for each channel.

newtest2.png

I'm asked to measure it that is understandable but how do make chart to measure these colors?

Should i use print head test chart?
newtest3.png

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Smile,

Is this (http://www.creativepro.com/software/home/1057.html) the software that you are using? If so, you are in the wrong forum - that package is for real professionals, not us hackers. You might want to try posting your question in this forum (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1003).

Most printers are "Conventional RGB", even though they can use 8-10 inks. I believe that the "Multicolor" selection is used only when you have direct control over each individual ink and print through a RIP. The sample swatch that they want wouldn't be the nozzle check, but a test image printed through the RIP with a known amount of a single color of ink, something that we can't do with our R/G/B printers.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
After more using google and testing I found out that to use that multicolor feature you need a special license called "Packaging" and you need special plugin for photoshop and if you use other software package there is no plugin you can't do separations and you are stuck.

And you can imagine how much this license costs, anyway I found out that it can be use on real presses and not digital printers or your digital printer must use a RIP to print individual color test chart that you suppose to scan.

Also I discovered that you can use the ussual "Conventional CMYKRedGreen" to make a test chart without the need for any license upgrades that works very well on PIXMA Pro9000 since it reveals more black tones and shadows. Using RGB works also good. And if you do not compare the actual ICC profiles from RGB and CMYKRedGeeen using some 3d plot program like ICC3D you can't distinguish photos made using separate profiles.

newtest4.png

Therefore if you use CMYK data it is worth creating a CMYKRedGeeen profile and if you just print photos that are in RGB format it will not make any real world difference probably because you need a RIP to utilize full features of CMYK in the first place and avoid sending data trough the printer driver.