Problems with Panorama Prints -Epson 3880 - UDPS or RIP or...?

Atom Smasher

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
TLDR: Photoshop will NOT let me enter greater user defined paper size of 37 inches. I can't find a download for User Defined Paper Size. I know EFI RIP software will help, but cannot find that either. Is there a third option or does anyone know where to locate UDPS or EFI's RIP?

Greetings, first time poster, long time creeper.

I purchased an Epson 3880 about one month ago for making prints of my wife's original work. She just finished a large piece that is 65 inches long that features portraits of every actor who has played Dr Who. Who in the television series. We took hi-res digital images of the painting and made prints of each doctor individualy: the prints came out great. However, we are having a problem with making prints larger than 37 inches.

I've done some research this morning and have found that there are two possible solutions but I cannot locate either and am unsure if they work. I'm hoping some of the wise minds at IPF can help me out here. Here's what I know so far:

It seems there's a program that works on 5.5 drivers called UDPS - user defined paper size. It looks like it will work if I install it on XP, however some forum posts on DPReview claim that it's not just the OS that matters. Either way, I cannot find UDPS anywhere; it seems like it has completely vanished. Is this still a possible solution? Could I install UDPS (if I can even find it) and install it on an XP machine and then print at > 37 inches?

My other solution is EFI RIP drivers/software that will allow me to print past 37 inches. I've looked for software and I found something called Fiery Express by EFI (I would add link but as a New Member I am unable too) however I cannot find an easy way to even purchase the software. Is there someway for me to purchase a digital copy and download the software and start printing @ > 37inches immediately?

Other details: I'm using win7, 64bit, Photoshop CS5. I have dual boot enabled for XP if needed for UDPS.

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
Welcome to the forum!

First the bad news; UDPS does not work with the 3880, only the 3800.

The good news is that you can use a RIP to overcome the 37" limit and at the moment you can have it for nothing. Take a look at the PrintFab Windows beta version. It's fully functional and free until at least the end of the year. You can get details from http://www.printfab.com/en/ There has been a lot of discussion on the DPreview forum about this. Take a look at http://www.dpreview.com/search/forums?query=printfab&forum=1003