problems with magenta

cpkarkow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi everyone-I have for years used MIS Associates CFS for my Epson 1280. Always had good results until now. a month ago, I tried re-filling my Magenta tank with new ink that I had just purchased from them. (I am using the Archival inks.) shortly thereafter, the Magenta Nozzels stopped printing.

I went through all of the instructions: restored the nozzle patterns using Epson cartridges. ran the Purge cycles etc. even though I would get a good nozzle pattern, as soon as I try to print an image, the Magenta bands, then doesn;t print at all.

I ordered a new cartridge from them. had the same results. had my printer serviced, they said they found no problem. Indeed, with an Epson stock cartridge, I can get a good print. but when I install the CFS , the Magenta won't print.

I called MIS, I suggested that perhaps it is a problem with the ink. so I ordered another new cartridge and a new tank of Magenta archival ink. I also ordered a brand new Epson 1280 printer.

I just set up the new printer tonight. it worked fine with the stock cartridge. I installed the MIS pre-filled cartridge. followed all of the procedures, which i am quite familiar with by now, and everything worked fine: untill the second print. once again, there is no Magenta. the Nozzle patterns are exactly like they were before.

My question to all of you is: have any of you worked with these guys? and if so, have any of you had problems with the Magenta Archival Inkjet inks for the CFS for Epson printers? I don't know what to do, I have spent copious amounts of money and still can't get my projects done please help!!!!

christine

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I had color balance problems with my Epson Stylus 900 with MIS inks refilling my OEM carts. MIS techs worked hard to try to solve the problem and it just didn't work out. I tried to tweak the color settings and finally replaced the refilled color cart with an OEM cart. One purge print and then got excellent prints with the OEM color ink. After reading Neil Slade's info I purchased a Canon i960 and, on Neil's advice, refilled Canon OEM carts with MIS inks. Excellent results. I should add that MIS graciously sent me the Canon ink set at no charge to compensate for the problems I had with the Epson refill kit I had purchased from them.

david1965

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have for over 3 months had success with using Niagara continious ink flow system with my Epson 2200 printer.
But the printer now makes fine lines in the print as if out of alignment or as if one of the jet heads does not work.
By using Epson's cartridge, I dont have any problem, but as soon as I change back to the Niagara G Chrome ink from Mediastreet, the line problem is back again. I never got back from mediastreet's tech support, they simply just ignore me. Now I have to use the expensive Epson cartridges. If anyone is familiar with this problem, I would like to hear from you.

I also did some research and found some clue - this problem may caused by the sponge in the cartridge ??

I saw somebody here post InkRepublic.com spongeless CFS, any verdict? does it eliminate the grainy problem?

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I have no experience with the printers or inks that you are using, but your symptoms are very similar to what I have seen on my Canon i9900 when using refilled carts. Both OEM and non-OEM carts work properly when printing with the ink that comes in the carts.

See post #6 at (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=168) for a discussion on the clogging of the cart's filter with (dye based) ink residue after several refills and some things that have worked for myself and others. Is it possible that something similar might be at play with your systems, and that there is clogged filter somewhere? Heat or alcohol won't dissolve the pigment used in pigment based inks, but it may help to dissolve other sticky residues that may be blocking the filter.

cpkarkow

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I kind of abandoned this thread because MIS associates sent out a call tag for my printer, had it shipped back to Michigan, installed a new CFS, and said that they got it to start working again. They shipped it back to me, I bought a new set of inks, installed everything and now, nothing on my printer works at all!! It won't print ANYTHING, despite everything I've tried. So I installed the CFS from the new printer, that they had worked on, onto my older epson 1280, and the other colors work, except the Magenta.

This is all so strange and perplexing that I don't know what to do. I don't understand why this system worked fine for 3 years, then all of the sudden stopped working despite getting new CFS cartridges, new ink and even a new printer. The only incident that I can tie this to is the addition of new magenta ink back in February. I can't help but think that somehow certain properties of this particular ink might have caused the problem. I have ordered multiple containers though, and, if it really were just the ink, I would think that MIS Assoc. would be flooded with complaints. but they say that mine is the only problem of this sort.

*sigh* with all of the $$ I've spent trying to get my 1280 to work, I could have by now purchased at 2200 and a CFS for that!

any ideas?

4x5

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
HI everyone, I have been using the OEM ink for my 1280 for a year. Since I start printing more of my picture for my portfolio, I bought a Niagara II CFS. I realized that there is a huge color shift compare to OEM ink color for the paper(s) I use. I ran a test of all my paper and It seems I need to calibrate all the color setting for all the paper...have anyone experienced with this issue?

Is it the matter of ink, or different brand of ink will work better?

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
4x5 welcome to the forum. I don't have an answer for you, but a comment. I'm amazed that people are able to go from OEM carts straight to a CFS and skip the whole refilling process! Congradulations.

kenban

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Shoot when I purchased my i960 I went straight from box to a CFS. Until I had some print head problems I had not even opened the original OEM carts that came with the printer. Since then I have given up on the CFS and just refill the carts.