Problem with printing.

lordpain

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am encountering a print problem with a second hand epson photo 900 that i bought. It came with original inks, I refilled it and resetted it and did a nozzle check. All nozzles were ok. I printed some documents with colored pictures, it turned out ok. When i printed photos, this problem surfaced:

rwo2rk.jpg

See, the inks start going off alignment. Note the green beyond the border of the picture. And the print quality has lines on it. Could it be because im using a newer inkset for the 900? Thats because I used a Epson 1390 inks to refill this.

Hope someone can enlighten me. Thanks!

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
IF your epson photo 900 has a timing strip like canons do, then clean it with isopropyl alcohol.

lordpain

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
May I know whats a timing strip?

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Smile said:
IF your epson photo 900 has a timing strip like canons do, then clean it with isopropyl alcohol.
use just water to clean the timing strip, the use of Isopropyl alcohol may short the life of the strip. I'll recommend you to preform a Nozzle Check to find out which color is missing.

lordpain

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for the reply. I have done a nozzle pattern check and none of the nozzles are jammed. Any ideas?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
cartridges may feed adequately to produce a perfect nozzle check but not keep up with the feed demand of printing a photo. Poorly feeding carts could be the cause.

lordpain

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
so, it'll probably mean that the sponges are probably dead and I'll have to buy a new cart isn't that right? Or is there anything I can do to the cart?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the interior structure of your printer carts, but I did have an epson stylus 900. The carts for that printer had the entire inside filled with sponge material. If ink dries in the sponge it will inhibit ink flow. I don't think there is anything you can do to revitalize the cart.

If these carts are like the ones from the ES900 there is a valve at the bottom that, when installed in the printer, engages thin tubes through which the ink flows. If you feel like experimenting you might try injecting a bit of alcohol through the valve at the bottom. Although Epson won a suit that prevented vendors from selling aftermarket carts in the US, you may find them available for that printer from some vendors.

lordpain

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I do not stay in the Unites States, rather in tiny little Singapore. I have the non-oem carts here, but they are hell not worth of the price. Its from china and they quote us really exorbitant prices for it, and obviously im not willing to pay for it. Even pigment ink here in the local shops is more expensive, though it was sourced from China, compared to IS inks from mikling which includes shipping from the US. It results to about a 30% saving for me.

I'll try the alcohol method. I have managed to open epson carts and pieced them back before. :) Thanks for the comments guys.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the logic board or main board on the Epson is not working properly. Try a hardware reset with SSC utility or reflashing the firmware if you can get the service utility. Otherwise you may have to move on.

It is not am inkfeeding issue because you have clearly indicated that the nozzle check patterns are fine.

What is very telling and possibly why the first response was the timing is that the printer is overprinting significantly on teh left side way past the border. This indicates that the firing of the nozzles is significantly offset. Inkfeed issues would produce effects close to drop shadows.

What is also odd is that your nozzle check pattern is bypassing the timing error. That leads me to suspect that somewhere in the hardware RIP the timing is going bad and thus my pointing to the logic board or processor problem.