Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Dear Friends,

I have a problem with Canon Pro 10.
One electrode of PGI72 is broken.
Please see the attach file to know.
Please show me how to solve this problem.

Thank and best regards,
Mr Cuong.
Ha Noi, Vietnam.

Attachments

• broken.jpg
    broken.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 232

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
I had a similar problem years ago with a Pro9000. In my case, the wire was corroded inside the carriage, not like yours where it’s broken outside. Anyway, there’s no fast fix for this issue. First you need to disassemble completely the carriage, which isn’t easy unless you have previous experience.
What you call ‘electrode’ it’s a longish and thin rod of solid metal, apparently gold plated, which runs for some length inside the carriage and then it’s soldered to an ordinary flexible insulated cable going into the body of the printer. Once the carriage is disassembled you’d need to find a suitable replacement for that broken wire. It must be similar in rigidity and strength to the original part and should be plated as well, to avoid oxidation.
If you have some skills and considerable patience, I think the problem can be fixed. The main thing is to find a detailed guide of how to disassemble properly the carriage unit without damaging anything. Once you find a substitute for the broken wire, soldering it to the cable it's easy.
Maybe some people here, more experienced with these Canon printers, can give you better directions. What I don’t advice is to contact Canon technical centre because the total cost of the repair, including shipping both ways, probably would be more than a new printer.
Good luck and keep us informed.

Mr Cuong

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro 1
Thank for your help.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Chips for Canon cartridges look very similar and are attached to the cartridges in the same way for cartridge families PGI-72, PGI-9, CLI-42, CLI-8, CLI-x21 and CLI-x26. This makes me think the chip contact blocks in the printers are also similar, so a defunct printer using one of these cartridge families could be used as a donor for a contact block with contact springs, if you could have it for free or for very little money. See this post about a similar problem.

Latest posts