Problem Refilling CLI-8 and PGI-5 Cartridges

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Is there any way to attach a picture to a message here? If so I can upload a couple pics of my printer and where I ground the case so the screw heads wouldn't hit.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, you can easily upload pictures using the "Upload" link near the top of this page.

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Yes, you can easily upload pictures using the "Upload" link near the top of this page.
Ahhh, I was looking for it here in the message editing screen!

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Hmmm, seems it's not so easy as when I try I get this message:

"You do not have permission to use the upload feature. Please direct any inquiries to the forum administrator."

Whatever, I don't have time to jump through hoops - anyone wants to see the pic just drop me a pm.

/Steve

cannonvictim

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just wanted to update my original post in this thread. I have now finished refilling 4 of the 5 cartridges on the Pixma (I had a new dye black cart.). I only had a real problem with the cyan. It was caused by the original outlet plug never resealing. I solved it by sealing the outlet with thin plastic strapping tape instead. I was trying to squeeze the old plug tightly enough with that tape to make a seal. I never got that to work. I don't know how some here succeed with just a rubber band to apply pressure. I have used the method that Precision Colors sent with their kit and now it makes a lot of sense. The problem with stripping the threads with the stainless steel screw came because it is possible to over tighten the screw when making the taper seal to the edges of the original hole. I am expecting a supply of nylon screws and gaskets from SLR_65 who kindly offered them from his personal supply. I will use one of those to seal the cyan cart. when it starts leaking again. Right now about 20 % of the ink is in the cart. and with less pressure it was possible to stop the leak. Thanks for all the help here. I still find that the steps are kind of fussy when making the holes and extracting the ball, but now that that part is over refilling should be a snap.

Cannonvictim

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's going better for you!

I mailed your nylon screws, o-rings, and a couple pictures of where I had to trim my printer case to you on Monday so they should be arriving any day now.

Take Care,

Steve

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
If you're logged into the forum you should be able to upload images that are within the file size limit and are the correct file type. If it still doesn't work, try saving the file as a different file type and name.

SLR_65

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
nifty-stuff.com said:
If you're logged into the forum you should be able to upload images that are within the file size limit and are the correct file type. If it still doesn't work, try saving the file as a different file type and name.
It doesn't even let me get to the point of choosing a file . . . the moment I hit the upload button I get the "You do not have permission to use the upload feature. Please direct any inquiries to the forum administrator." message . . . and I am logged in.

chrisdemont

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
How to check the level without withdrawing the cart ?!
Hi everybody,
Refilling CLI-8 + PGI-5 cartridges invalidates the control of the ink levels (by the printer driver software or by means of the red LEDs ..). Refilling is more interesting for people printing large amounts of texts and/or photos-pictures .. and it is of importance for these people to check very often the level of ink in the carts ...
Thus, we may fear that withdrawing the carts from the printerhead to inspect them several times (depending on the volume of printer jobs) may produce some ink drying on filters on the head and, possibly, some interruption of the liquid track when the cart is inserted again on the printer head (interposition of air) ...
I have observed that when the red LEDS are working, it is quite easy to recognize a void cart by visual inspection in situ in the printer, a time before the printer driver software indicates it, without withdrawing from the printer head : Simply have a look vertically at the top of the carts : when they appear white or almost white, they are almost empty ! (observation made several times !)..
When LEDs are no more working (ink control disabled), this is impossible.
Does anybody know a trick to avoid frequent withdrawing of the carts to inspect them, for people like me with "heavy duty" of their printer ?
Thanks in advance.
Christian

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
I once had a PGI-5 that went completely empty. I discovered it by looking at my ip4300 printing. I saw the text it printed getting lighter and missing pixels. I immediately refilled it and ran a light cleaning cycle and a nozzle check afterwards. Luckily it recoved without any hassles. I might not be so lucky if it were a CLI-8 color cartridge.

The problem of taking cartridges out of the printer to check ink level is not in ink drying out when the cartridges are out of the printer exposing to air. The problem to me is the printer will always do a cleaning cycle whenever it detects a cartridge being plugged in (new or same old one that was there before). This can be a huge waste of ink if you take cartridges out for ink level checking frequently. What I do is if I do check ink level I will check all cartridges at once so that there will be only one cleaning cycle afterwards. I have reduced my ink level checking to no more than once a week. I will top up all cartridges if one of them needs refilling. Once all are topped up I won't check their ink level until a week later. Of course this is only for me. If you print all the time you may need to check it every other day. If you seldom use the printer you may be fine to check it once a month.