Pro9500 dodged a bullet

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I just finished printing a 13x19 print when I got a B200 warning telling me to turn off my printer & go into panic mode. I did a search here & watched a few Youtube vids & it seemed as though I had an electrical problem in the printer or it needed a new head.
Lucky for me I had a new head I bought when I couldn't get rid of my blocked red channel but during the wait for the new head my red channel came good so the new head has just sat on the shelf.
My biggest dilemma was if I unseal the new head & the problem is in the printer I have just wasted a lot of dollars because it would be hard to sell an opened now second hand head. The new head bleeding worked so I'm a happy chappy, big relief a.
Guess what else! I have been having a problem of the lights on the carts not wanting to light up properly so I cleaned the contacts with Isoprol & they work great now, it's like having a new printer:)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Great news @rodbam, glad everything worked out and you didn’t get a heart attack, a word of caution dough, it might be sensible now to get another spare head, because when the same thing goes wrong many years from now, there won’t be any heads left to purchase, I have two spare print heads on my shelf.
It might also be time to give the purge unit a good splash and wash, just to welcome and help the new head settle in...;)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Hat I will have a look at the purge unit & clean it out.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I just finished printing a 13x19 print when I got a B200 warning telling me to turn off my printer & go into panic mode. I did a search here & watched a few Youtube vids & it seemed as though I had an electrical problem in the printer or it needed a new head.
Lucky for me I had a new head I bought when I couldn't get rid of my blocked red channel but during the wait for the new head my red channel came good so the new head has just sat on the shelf.
My biggest dilemma was if I unseal the new head & the problem is in the printer I have just wasted a lot of dollars because it would be hard to sell an opened now second hand head. The new head bleeding worked so I'm a happy chappy, big relief a.
Guess what else! I have been having a problem of the lights on the carts not wanting to light up properly so I cleaned the contacts with Isoprol & they work great now, it's like having a new printer:)

The contact points for the Pro9500 and Pro-10 appear to be more sensitive to contact cleanliness than the dye printers for some reason.
So it is now always a good idea to clean those off with a quick wipe with some alcohol before a reset. If you have electronic contact cleaner that is better as some of those actually leave a thin layer of corrosion protection as well as contact enhancement..did you realize there is such a thing!

I'll repeat like a broken LP with a sticking tonearm, these printers might be the last of the ones you'd want to own. If they do the job now, there is not likely going to be something significantly better in the future with the risk of not being able to deal with the chip issues.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Mike I will be looking after the printer a lot better now & hope it lasts me out as I'm too old to get a lot of use out of a new Pro10:)

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Did you observe half
PRO9500II_nozzlecheck_0001.jpg
of some colors less dense (as here with cyan and yellow - pimped img to show what happens) ?
This does not seem to have any effect on the print result, but my previous head had a B200 error afterwards.
Anyway, I have 2 spares.

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
No mine was just thin & thick whitish lines in the red that would change with every clean but would not disappear until I did what we should never do & that was just print some A4 solid red pages. It cleared itself & has been fine for over 6 months until I got the B200 but I only did this because I had the new head sitting on the shelf.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@rodbam you should try that damaged head again and see if it’s still reporting any errors, it shouldn’t be, because that old head when cleaned will work with a set of carts filled with Gloss optimiser and can coat your photos that might have some gloss differential or bronzing, it works for me...