Pro-Clean of print head : Brother MFC-J4510DW

Lancealot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
MFC-J4510DW
Hi all,

New member, first post.

Just inherited this printer. It was used before I received it. I hope to keep and use this for a number of years.

So -

A) seeking guidance on how to thoroughly and properly clean the print head, before I use it.

B) Recommendations on ink refill kits &/or refilled cartridges, that are affordable (and won't damage the printer).

My warmest thanks to anyone willing to help.

L.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Do you anything about the usage history of this printer ? Did it print regularly ? Did it use OEM cartridges or some 3rd party ones or refill ? What is the total print volume ? go to printouts via the printer panel menue, the printer info sheet tells you the number of printed pages.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Its hard to clean brother print heads because they use membrane type ink damper on top of actual print head. The membrane can unglue an ruin the print head.

minkybinks

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother MFC J4620DW
Thanks for the heads up @Smile about the danger of ungluing.

I have had decent success with using household paper towel soaked with window cleaner and very slowly sliding the print head over it. About an hour or so of that slow process seemed to do wonders cleaning up my newly inherited j4620dw with 3rd party inks.

Prints were immediately better with much less banding. Nozzle checks the next morning came out perfectly.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Well the brother heads do not use cleaners with alcohol, because of glue used. There are no inlets like canon or epson on brother printers. Hard to explain. Do not try to buy printheads from aliexpress because i bought 2 and both were defective, then had to buy original one cos is like 2x more expensive then china crap.