Pro 10s magenta

Borut

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10s
as for the air, it doesn't matter if it stays in the cartridge? I wouldn't be so sure that it doesn't matter..if you remove the cartridge you can see bubbles at the entrance of the print head which somehow cause a lot of problems when the ink flows from the cartridge to the print head..some say you have problems with other colors..it's causing problems for me right now only gray...
It's somehow not understandable, because the sponge at the exit seems to hold the air in becose of mesh, the bit that sits behind the sponge if we don't squeeze it out.. only the gray ink from octo ink flows just fine in my opinion.. or these inks are not always the same..

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
..if you remove the cartridge you can see bubbles at the entrance of the print head which somehow cause a lot of problems when the ink flows from the cartridge to the print head
As I said, air cannot effect the ink output of these carts, it’s impossible to get air into the ink intake on the print head.. How old is your ink because that could be an issue also if its contaminated with fungus..

But if your still not convinced, and are having problems with your grey ink, then suck out the ink and flush the cart with warm water and washing up liquid (Fairy) several times, the more times the better, then rinse with clean water..

That will clear and clean the mesh and sponge area completely, and this will leave the cart in pristine condition, if you don’t have a refiller clip, then make one yourself..

Borut

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 10s
octo ink say that there can be problems whit gray and magenta becose of poor filtering...
atm i haw in OEM gray..waiting for new inks from octo..

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
I reckon air inside these working carts is all a load of rubbish, because air can’t effect the ink flow in any way, because the ink stays on the bottom of the cart when in use.. You should always try to avoid leaving air in any cart anyway…
I'm actually going to disagree on this point but only in the sense that any air in the cartridge will be taking up space that should be taken up by the ink. So, if the cartridge is running close to what the chip thinks is empty, then there's a risk that the cartridge will run dry which is never good for a bubblejet printhead.

As to how that air gets in there, there's a few ways that I've managed to do this and/or noted end-users doing:
  1. Small amounts of air in a syringe that haven't been spotted but pushed in via a force fill (flush clip) refill

2. Scenario: Refilling a cartridge that has been cleaned using a cleaning solution but not had any ink dribbled into the sponge before attempting refilling.
    This makes it REALLY easy for air to be ingested into the cartridge even if the end user has sucked all the air out of the cartridge first. I'll do a video on this at some point as it's an obvious "Didn't RTFM" mistake.

3. If there's enough air in the cartridge you may get a drying/clumping action which ultimately won't help ink flow but frankly if there's that much air, point #1 is more applicable.

But yes, definitely get that air out of the cartridge as much as possible.

P.S. I has never had a bag burst in any of my carts when refilling using the refill clip method, several have been refilled more than 50 times.. I did have quite a few bust when I use to drill the cart bottom..
Erm... *shuffles feet*... I came close... once... quite some time ago... It was erm... "impressive?"
The sound of the cartridge side plate pinging off and hitting the table a few feet away was luckily all the early warning I needed to stop pressing on the bottle of ink I was refilling with.

The way to do this is to attach a FULL syringe or FULL SquEasyFill bottle of ink to a flush clip and be totally distracted by the video you're trying to make, not paying attention to how much ink you're putting in the cartridge.

Like I said... "impressive" :hide :hu:eek:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
octo ink say that there can be problems whit gray and magenta becose of poor filtering...
atm i haw in OEM gray..waiting for new inks from octo..
As Borut has said, there's enough reports about the Grey that we're investigating whether our ink has not been filtered properly or if the bottling process has not been correctly completed (ie: bulk ink containers not properly mixed/agitated before rebottling) such that there's an over concentration of pigment in some bottles.

To that end we're assuming nothing and are filtering our latest stock of ink with a view to replacing any problem batches, while also carrying out some testing to see if we can isolate any particular issues.