Pro-100 update

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Hi All

I use a Pro-100, bought new in July 2014 and, since purchase, I have top-filled the cartridges. I re-fill all 8 cartridges as soon as I get a 'low ink' warning on any cartridge, I never allow a cartridge to run dry and, since adopting this methodology (at about the time I bought this printer) I've had no problems of any kind with ink flow. No doubt at some stage in the future I will run into problems but, in case that happens, I have two complete sets of OE cartridges and two spare print heads. I am absolutely convinced, as has been investigated and reported here by many others, that the 'secret' to success is to refill before any of the cartridge levels gets too low. I was careless in the past and, over the preceding 10 years, this cost me two new print heads for an i9900 then a further three heads for a Pro 9000 MkII but I have seen no ink flow problems of any kind since becoming meticulous about refilling early.

I just thought I'd add my findings to the body of knowledge of others in this forum, in particular to those who have undertaken experiments in this regard and whose results guided me.

I don't know how much money I've saved over the years, probably not a lot because I'm just a keen amateur who enjoys producing high-quality prints, but I've just made a couple of new profiles for some new paper I'm trying out, the results are once again gorgeous, and it occurs to me that, were it not for the endless solid advice from the many expert contributors here, there's no way I could afford to follow my hobby the way I do.

Many thanks to you and please keep up the good work. I'm only an occasional contributor these days because, touch wood, I rarely need help, but I regularly look in and it pleases me enormously to see the forum's still as active as ever.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Ah, gees Paul, that certainly does the heart good to hear of your continued success with your refilling methods, and may it long continue for you.
You have also made many a good contribution here too, like this post: -
https://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/a-bci-6-cartridge-opened-up.5492/

but above all you’re not slow to heaped praise on all the forum member who have help you along the way, we’re very luck to have you here too, and thank you for your feedback we all appreciate it here...

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Thanks The Hat for your kind words but it just suddenly occurred to me that thanks were probably overdue. Almost without exception those who regularly visit here will be keen re-fillers and/or newcomers and I remember my early visits here, initially investigating how to save a fortune but also looking out for the pitfalls. I started off using the German method but when I had a problem one of you experienced re-fillers suggested to test the cartridge first as ink flow is almost always the precursor to head problems and I probably didn't investigate this as thoroughly as I should because I remember thinking at the time that I couldn't see how the ink flow could be deficient. Boy have I learnt a lot since then; I especially remember Mikling's photos re ink flow after he cut a huge hole in the end of a cartridge and still the ink didn't leak out - what struck me most was how the upper foam was still pristine white in parts inside even after he'd saturated it twice (I still have that series of photos to remind me). That told me more than anything that there's a lot happening inside a cartridge that we cannot see so I make darned sure now that the foam chamber never runs short of ink.

fwfw these days I use the top fill method following problems a while back with the German method. I know it works for some and my guess is that those who have no problems with it are likely more frequent refillers than me. Since becoming a 'top-filler' the only problem I've ever experienced is that I'm more likely to get inky fingers, primarily because of the need to remove and subsequently replace the silicone bung. I usually start off wearing surgical gloves but then my hands get sweaty and uncomfortable and I tell myself I'm now an experienced refiller so I remove the gloves ...

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I topfill too. Yes, removing and reinstalling the bung is the messiest part of the process. I wish someone would design a tool to hold the bung securely so your fingers stay cleaner. Right now, I use a cuticle cutter to pull the bung, but then things get messy trying to put it back in.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
@turbguy, you could cut all the fingers out of a Latex glove and wear them over each finger while replacing the bung...
Or buy Finger Cots.

fingercot1.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
It would be much simpler is a tool that removed the bung, firmly HELD the bung for re-installation, and then released.