Pro-100 ink level not showing correctly

Art Mozak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, Pro-10, ip6700D
Hi folks. do any of you know why my Pro-100 would be showing full ink carts even though they are nearly empty? I`ve been refilling with PC inks and using the chip resetter that came with the refill kit. This isn`t the first refill, I`ve used about half of my 4 ounce bottles. Previously the ink level indicators have been working as they should. I`d greatly appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this issue. Best regards...Art

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There’s no need to worry just yet, so long as there’s ink still in the reservoir side of the carts, the chip should drop to low ink warning just as soon as that ink in the reservoir disappears....;)

Art Mozak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks so much for the reply! I thought maybe I did something wrong while resetting the carts or something. I`m still very much a newbie with this digital stuff. Watching the videos Jose makes and reading the posts here have been extremely helpful.

TomAllaway

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100s, Pixma Pro1
Hi Art, I have recently within the past couple of days experienced similar with my Pixma Pro 10.
Started to get pink cast on prints, couldn't work out why as the printer utility showed that the minimum level of ink in all cartridges was 50%. After doing a nozzle check (which in hind site) should have been undertaken first, this showed that the Photo Cyan was not printing. It turned out the cartridge was empty. I had reset the cartridge chip before refilling I come to the conclusion that either the chip did not reset correctly or it might be going defective. Lesson learnt. Happy printing.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hi Art, I have recently within the past couple of days experienced similar with my Pixma Pro 10.
Started to get pink cast on prints, couldn't work out why as the printer utility showed that the minimum level of ink in all cartridges was 50%. After doing a nozzle check (which in hind site) should have been undertaken first, this showed that the Photo Cyan was not printing. It turned out the cartridge was empty. I had reset the cartridge chip before refilling I come to the conclusion that either the chip did not reset correctly or it might be going defective. Lesson learnt. Happy printing.
Are you weighing the cartridge to confirm a proper fill. If not, then it is time to maybe acquire a digital scale.
You see if the cartridge had ingested air, then this air inside the cartridge would stop the cartridge from receiving ink.
By weighing the carts and they should be between 32.2 and 33 grams when full, you confirm the proper amount of ink is inside the cart.

If you have air, you can get rid of it by two ways. One is to rig something up like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=YBjjE5GoLUE

The other way is to fill the cart with as much ink as it will take. Then with excess ink on the pad, squeeze the side of the cartridge and let it bubble and then release. The cart will suck the excess ink back in. Repeat until when you squeeze the cart only ink exits. This will confirm that the air is expelled. This squeeze check should really be done at each refill as doing so will also prevent any future air buildup.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Hi folks. do any of you know why my Pro-100 would be showing full ink carts even though they are nearly empty? I`ve been refilling with PC inks and using the chip resetter that came with the refill kit. This isn`t the first refill, I`ve used about half of my 4 ounce bottles. Previously the ink level indicators have been working as they should. I`d greatly appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this issue. Best regards...Art

Are you using multiple cartridges? If the chips had been overriden by a user before, the printer will write to the chip and it will perform a permanent modification to the chip. This will cause the chip to descend in only three steps to empty. The good news is that the sensor will still work.
The other possibility is that there is a very slow air leak from the cart.

TomAllaway

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100s, Pixma Pro1
Good morning Mikling, I appreciate your reply and many thanks for the video link. I have the orange cartridge cover with the pin pre attached, but I like the idea of your modification. In addition I use a digital scale and fill my cartridges to 33gm hence I believe my issue is a faulty or failing chip, or I did not use the resetter correctly more than likely the latter.
Regards

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
By weighing the carts and they should be between 32.2 and 33 grams when full, you confirm the proper amount of ink is inside the cart.

I wonder if the CLI-8 and CLI-42 cartridges are not of identical capacities?

I have bought some unused Canon OEM CLI-8 cartridges at thrift stores and similar and I have weighed the cartridges before inserting them in a printer. With the orange clip and the vent sealing tape removed i have found weights from 26.9g to 27.2g, with most cartridges having a weight of around 27.0 g. So 27g is the weight I aim for when refilling CLI-8 cartridges.

Art Mozak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Are you using multiple cartridges? If the chips had been overriden by a user before, the printer will write to the chip and it will perform a permanent modification to the chip. This will cause the chip to descend in only three steps to empty. The good news is that the sensor will still work.
The other possibility is that there is a very slow air leak from the cart.
Hi mikling, thanks for the input! I`ve been refilling from the beginning and resetting the carts with the redsetter that comes with the squeezy kit. For a long time the ink indicators showed the approximate ink levels of each cart until the low ink warning showed. Recently I decided to check the ink levels visually because it seemed odd that they were all showing full even though I had printed quite a lot. Sure enough, several carts were nearly empty even though the indicator showed they were full. No color casts or problems with colors, just not showing the approximate ink levels. I installed a new set of oem carts to see if they seem to act normal.