PRO-100 cart refilling: Do I have this right?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Neither I nor my wife are able to see any traces of the original yellow
Sounds like you did a great job with the OEM Yellow cartridge! The flushing of other cartridges sound successful as well. Well done.

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Your post is the first I had heard of this technique.
Regardless, if it works for you then don't fix what ain't broken. ;)
Thanks @stratman, yours is a very good explanation. So if I have the luxury I let the carts dry the 4 weeks, but in a pinch, if I need a refill earlier, I can shorted the time. Thanks again.

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-100, MG5320, Xerox 6027
Sounds like you did a great job with the OEM Yellow cartridge! The flushing of other cartridges sound successful as well. Well done.
Thank you, sir.
I'm pleased with the results.

As seen in the image, not all dye is 100% gone.
However, I was primarily concerned with ensuring the yellow
got to a completely clean state. I believe I succeeded.
IMG_6575.jpg

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Thanks @stratman, yours is a very good explanation. So if I have the luxury I let the carts dry the 4 weeks, but in a pinch, if I need a refill earlier, I can shorted the time. Thanks again.

In order to shorten time, each time I flushed a cart, I used to put them one minute in the microwave, set at minimum power. It does help a lot to evaporate faster the water. I only do it with 'dumb' carts (BCI-3, BCI-6), in case the microwaves might damage the chip.

Last time, by an unhappy mistake, I set the microwave at 100 (full power) instead of 10 (minimum). After the minute elapsed I was welcomed by an acrid smell and whitish fumes coming from inside the oven. Opening the door I saw that the whole sponge had turned into grey ashes. Nevertheless, the cart was successfully dried. :rolleyes:

BTW, the body of the cartridge didn’t suffer damage at all. In fact it wasn’t even warm, except the part directly in contact with the sponge. I guess that the microwaves only heat water and other liquids but not plastic polymer materials ?

Last edited:

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Except for the part about flushing and refilling the yellow cartridge your post mirrors how I go about refilling. I took the easy way out and purchased the empty yellow cartridge from Precision Colors when I ordered my refill ink kit to use with my new Pro-100. I've been a long time user of PC inks on my other Canon inkjets. I've used inks from other sources in the past and learned the hard way to use only PC inks.

SkedAddled

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO-100, MG5320, Xerox 6027
Except for the part about flushing and refilling the yellow cartridge your post mirrors how I go about refilling. I took the easy way out and purchased the empty yellow cartridge from Precision Colors when I ordered my refill ink kit to use with my new Pro-100.
Yes, well. :oops:
Knowing that Octo and PC are something of competitors, but across the pond from one another...

I actually purchased the chip resetter from Octo, saving several dollars, even though I am
in the US. Syringes and tips are easy to come by and cheap. I'll only need the inks from PC
when the time comes, and this combination will save me some tangible coins.

Having apparently successfully flushed my newly-acquired CLI-42 Yellow cart
with nothing more than easily-obtainable Windex, and also flushing all other 7 carts
after opening everything up without issue, I see no need yet to obtain carts which
need a chip transfer. I'll simply flush as I've done with the empty carts, and I'm probably
a few weeks or more from needing to swap any one cart out due to a low or empty condition.

Besides all the above, I can use the rebate to purchase another set of OEM carts
and have some left over. I intend to watch for sales from Canon, such as buy $30 of ink
and get paper, or the Buy-1-Get-9-Free sales, and so forth. I've come to learn that
looking for such Canon-direct deals can lead to some incredible stockpiles of quality
and pro-grade photo paper for very little cost. It can also be a way to grab OEM inks
for next to no cost when comparing against normal costs of papers. :)