PRO-1 not using all inks ?

Jasiek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma PRO-1
Hello,
I am printing mostly B/W photos using B/W mode on my PRO-1. I am printing on Ilford Studio papers - luster or pearl. Recently I installed new B/W PGI-21inks and two of them PBK and MBK are already at 75% now while DGY and GY seem not to be used at all. Does the consumption of specific inks depend on the profile used ?

Regards
Jan

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Possibly it's a typo and @Jasiek means PGI-29 ?

Ink monitoring on Canon printers is a rough estimation. The driver shows only 4 or 5 levels :100%, 75%, 50% ..
My guess is that DGY and GY are still a bit above 75%, so the screen shows them as 100% full.

Last edited:

Jasiek

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma PRO-1

Ink monitoring on Canon printers is a rough estimation. The driver shows only 4 or 5 levels :100%, 75%, 50% ..
My guess is that DGY and GY are still a bit above 75%, so the screen shows them as 100% full.
I printed maybe 15-20 4x6" in black and white and some of my inks are already at 75% 😨😝 I think I read somewhere that it's better to print larger because doing so doesnt cause the printer to start the whole process again and again but I might be wrong.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Does the consumption of specific inks depend on the profile used ?
It’s doesn’t matter which profile you choose, it has no bearing on the amount of ink the printer uses, when you choose the correct profile it gives you a much better result with your prints.

The Pro1 does use both matte and Photo black at the same time as all the other colours, especially the 3 grey’s.. Yes I know it sounds crazy that colours are used for B&W...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
To supplement @The Hat 's post...

Three things affect the quantity of ink used: the image itself, the choice of Media Setting, and the print quality setting (High uses more ink).

There is one caveat to the above - using Raster Image Processor (RIP) software. RIP's are usually found in the professional/business arena.

All the colors are used in printing a B&W image. B&W is made up of 256 shades of gray. Inkjet printers in stock configuration, meaning no special B&W ink set, use all the colors to create the shades of gray. If you were to magnify the printed image enough you would see pixels of color mixed in.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I thought that too but asked because it goes to basic understanding of the OP and their set up. Maybe OP was using GI-21 inks and the typo was not what we thought. Important distinction