Printing to thick (Warranty) card

Mori

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5430
Hello Everybody,

Wish you all a merry Christmas, in advance.

Can anyone help me to choose the right (Laser) printer type for printing serial number/date on thick warranty cards (e.g. 15 x 10 cm, 300 grams=110 lb, semi-glossy) ?

Usually, there are two issues for using such cards with regular inkjet printers:

- The printed text/numbers will not be very durable (this is required for warranty purposes)
- Printer's paper handling cannot pick up such thick papers (>300 gr) easily which leads to paper jam.

I currently have two Epson L550/L560 (refill-tank) inkjet printers which I'm sure cannot achieve this purpose.

Note: the cards are not plastic (PVC) ID card, in this case; they are thick PAPER cards.

Laser Printer is preferred over Inkjet because my usage is not so frequent which can lead to ink dry out.

Thank you, in advance for any input.

Kindest Regards,
Mori

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Mori, You have assumed wrongly on both counts, lots of inkjet printers will print on heavy stock, once you find the right printer, and because its a warrantee card it won’t be subject to high exposure of UV light, so therefore the image will be very durable.

Your problem was you just picked the wrong printers, and the same thing will happen if you don’t choose a laser printer wisely, but even then, laser printers are not known to be good at feeding heavy card stock, so you might find you heading for another Cul-De-Sac.

If your preference is for laser then you’ll need to find one with a rear manual hand feed tray, and be able to test your cart stock out on the printer before purchase, plus laser text is notorious for flaking off the surface of some cart stock.

So, beware, and good luck with your search, and please report back on your final choice, because this can help others with their decision too...

Mori

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5430
@Mori, You have assumed wrongly on both counts, lots of inkjet printers will print on heavy stock, once you find the right printer, and because its a warrantee card it won’t be subject to high exposure of UV light, so therefore the image will be very durable.

Your problem was you just picked the wrong printers, and the same thing will happen if you don’t choose a laser printer wisely, but even then, laser printers are not known to be good at feeding heavy card stock, so you might find you heading for another Cul-De-Sac.

If your preference is for laser then you’ll need to find one with a rear manual hand feed tray, and be able to test your cart stock out on the printer before purchase, plus laser text is notorious for flaking off the surface of some cart stock.

So, beware, and good luck with your search, and please report back on your final choice, because this can help others with their decision too...

Hello The Hat,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry, I'm not very much experienced in this field, that's why I asked everyone's advice.

Can you or anyone else name just a few models/series from Canon or HP or Brother which may be able to handle this job? Ink or Laser, no matter.

I tried Google already, it's not an easy job!

Thank you, in advance.

BR, Mori