Printing Support in Linux

Endmukbud

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This Day i'm installing a Linux for a server..... and i found some trouble on printing with 3744 HP. i need the driver, maybe somebody here could help me ???

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Endmukbud,

You're in luck that there are Linux drivers available for many HP printers, but you're going to have to do some research/reading for your particular printer and distribution. It's been some time since I installed the printers on my Linux system, but I remember it as being straight forward once I found the right information. For example, here is a link to some articles on this subject for SuSE linux. Good luck.
https://portal.suse.com/PM/page/search.pm?q=printer&t=optionSdbKeywords&m=25&l=en&x=true

Here are a two of the many linux forums that might also be able to help if you run into trouble.

www.justlinux.com
www.linuxforums.org

I copied this section from my personal installation notes that I made when installing the printers - it will probably not apply directly to your system if you are using another distro, but your process should be similar.

1. If you are not already logged in as "root" (with the red desktop at login), log out and log back in as "root" (IMPORTANT).
2. Use "Control Center" ==> "YAST2 Modules" ==> "Hardware" ==> "Printer"
3. The safest thing is to clear the current printer definitions and spooler configuration and to re-install the printing packages.
4. Use the "Advanced" option to get to the "server" setup. Select the "CUPS full-server installation", Browsing on, open port in firewall, access settings for root ==> change permissions ==> Allow from 192.168.1.*, Allow from all, Allow,deny mode
5. Configure the printers.
6. Re-boot to make sure that it was accepted.

Edit the "/etc/a2ps.cfg" file for the page sizes that are affected. The two lines:
Medium: A4 595 842
Medium: Letter 612 792
give the standard margins for these paper sizes. The numbers are the paper size (width, length), in 1/72" "points". In this "short" form, the margins are assumed to be 24 points. The H-P printers need a larger margin at the top of the page, so the "long" definition form must be used:
Medium: A4 595 842 24 50 571 818
Medium: Letter 612 792 24 40 588 768
The 4 extra numbers are:
Count at left margin
Count at top of page
Count at right margin
Count at bottom of page

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
HP is the printer branch that support the open source world the most. They have a project at: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html where they provide oem driver for linux. I see your printer being supported there.

I chose HP partly by mistake and mostly by its linux support!

Canon and Epson despite their good printer do not offer very good linux support...though.

PS: Old thread but I think it's useful to post the link.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Try guttenprint drivers, I tried the fedora linux and it's been very painless install. Just like windows7, no command prompt ever. Could not say say so for SUSE, Mint, Ubuntu etc.