Printing problemo with Canon i9900

BobCoulter

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I'm getting a strange problem as of late. My prints are fine except for the last inch or so on each print. At that point something happens with the ink so there is some strange banding (blue tint / less color). It sorta seems like something inside the printer that is pushing out the print is touching the print and removing some ink. Ive included a scan of one of my prints so you can see what Im talking about; http://www.bobcoulter.com/zoe.jpg It happens on all sized print, with exactly the same size, shape, color characteristic and distance from the end of the print doesnt matter if Im printing 8.5x11, 13x19 whatever, the shape and size of the banding is always the same width. Any clue how to fix this????

BobCoulter

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
I've been printing a LOT, so I've gone from the ink being full to empty and full again, it makes no difference. Canon techs suggested I try putting the printer into "QUIET MODE" but that didn't do anything either. I've tried taking out the print head and cleaning it with alcohol and compressed air. Ive tried changing the paper - Canon Pro Paper 8.5x11 and 13x19, Illford Classic 4x6, 8.5x11 and 13x19, and Kirkland glossy 8.5x11, and they are all the same. The nozzle test comes out perfect.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my i960 after using it without problems for a month or two. I looked up the FAQ's on the Canon support site. It said that the cause of the problem was a curve in the paper. Their cure was to flatten the paper by pulling it over the edge of a table or desk, thus reversing the curve. After more thought I realized that the paper I was using had been left in the printer feed deck for days between print runs and that it had sagged and picked up some curl. My solution was to always remove any paper at the end of a print run and store it flat til the next print session. I haven't had that problem since. BTW, it only happened with borderless printing.

Before I came up with that simple solution I went into the software utilities and checked th no-abrasion setting (don't remember the exact terminology). This raises the print head slightly for thicker stock. It worked well, but I then had a dialogue box pop up before each print advising me that this setting was on.