Printing Business Cards - ET-8550?

Sotalo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon imageProGraf 1000
Before you laugh... hear me out. I needed a good economical printer to print inserts, invoices, and shipping labels, which required a larger size. And for business cards/volume prints, I didn't want to waste ink from the expensive printer. Plus, as much as I love my WF-830 scanner, the higher bit depth and larger size of this scan bed was very enticing. So, I figured I'd hit 10 birds with one stone and order (well, backorder) the Ecotank 8550. Prints up to 13x19, 6-color dye (two blacks), and pretty high yield.

What is your guy's opinion using this thing to print business cards? I already have family who needs a large order. Also, any tips on making color profiles for papers that don't have them would be extremely helpful.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
6-color dye (two blacks)
1 Pigment Black

5 Dye-based colors: C/M/Y/Grey/Photo Black

Shipping labels should be printed with either Pigment inks or a laser printer. Dye-based inks can smear or wash off in the rain/snow/wet hands and clothes. In other words, your shipping labels should be printed using only the Pigment Black cartridge.

Sotalo

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon imageProGraf 1000
Hm, good to know. I inherited a monochrome Brother printer from someone who didn't use it, but it is failing to print anything. I think it's missing a gear in the feed mechanism. Might try to get that thing repaired one more time...

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Shipping labels should be printed with either Pigment inks or a laser printer.

The ET-8550 uses the pigment black when you select normal paper or matte/inkjet papers, but the problem is that the driver adds some dye ink to the pigment black - probably to improve the black level. This may improve the look of prints on such papers with a darker black but is counterproductive to print shipping labels. You may give it a try - print such label - stick it on a box and wipe with a moist paper towel over it.

Last edited: