Printhead produces bands on Magenta ip 3000 Canon

adam

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The ip3000 nozzle test shows all OK EXCEPT the first magenta strip is top half faded (same as second magenta strip) and lower half full magenta. The alignment printout shows a dog tooth patter of magenta and nothing for the C column. Is this a blockage or an electrical problem. I have cleaned and cleaned to unblock but suspect may be a fault in the heater or whatever that switches on the relevant set of nozzles? Do I have to buy a new printhead (cheapest found so far is 49UKP) I am in Sierra Leone so cannot ship a new printer as too large even though not that much dearer than a print head! BTW, I am using Mc as well as windows and very disappointed that the mac OSX driver for ip3000 will not print booklet style etc....very non ecological....and lazy. So I have to print booklets by transferring files to Windows! Any one worked around that more conveniently without running OSX and Windows on two partitions on macbook....?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Unfortunately, patterns in the nozzle check that show exactly one half, or one quarter, or something similar, of the nozzles for a certain color are missing, points to an electrical problem. Worse yet, you never know whether the problem is just in the print head, the printer, or both. If it's both, with some problems, you can burn out a working print head by putting it in your printer, or you can burn out a working printer by putting your bad print head in a working printer. This is just to warn you of the possibilities.

However, just to make absolutely sure that exactly half of the nozzles for the dark magenta are missing, you should do an extended nozzle check. This link may work for your printer:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=869#p869

See if this works and let us know.

adam

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks. I did extended nozzle check and found the top half of first row, second column colour grid (magenta) to be missing completely. Lower down there is some almost black stuff with four lines, then a block of blue, then space for what maybe should be other colours? Then a set of vertical lines with some bold part lines every fourth line and two empty rectangles 1/3rd and 2/3rds along this pattern. Then the message CDR SENSOR=OK. All grids are complete suggersting that there is no problem with the nozzles being blocked. I have ordered a new print head. Is there anything I can do to safe guard the new print head when I put it into the printer after it arrives (be a week or so as am in Sierra Leone), like test the printer to see it does not burn the printhead - why would it do that?? Thanks again, adam

BTW do you (or anyone else) have any advice to offer on my other post re non recognition of colour cartridge 22 in HP d1470. I have now bought a great cost here an original HP cartridge and that is not being recognised as well as the other three from a remanufacturer.....Is there some way to reset the firmware to start recognising the cartridges? thanks adam

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Certainly sounds like an electronic problem if your printer does not recognize any # 22 cartridge - even a new genuine HP. Try cleaning your electric contacts on the printer (where the copper strip on the cartridge makes contact with the printer)..if that does not work, try to contact HP tech support..and good luck!!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
adam said:
I have ordered a new print head. Is there anything I can do to safe guard the new print head when I put it into the printer after it arrives (be a week or so as am in Sierra Leone), like test the printer to see it does not burn the printhead - why would it do that??
The biggest cause of electrical problems is getting liquid on the electronics. I would remove your bad print head now to make sure no ink leaks out where it shouldn't, then unplug the printer so the carriage stays in the middle and leave the cover to the printer open to allow any residule moisture to evaporate. Finally, I would put a view drops of water on the two black pads off to the right where the print head parks so they don't dry out. Hopefully, when you get your new print head, you can just put it in and everything will work fine.

Keep us informed.