printhead got too hot on mp780

ih8printers

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well heres the problem I'm having. I own a canon mp780 and I just randomly started saying wrong cartridge. Well i took out the print head and ink and then put it back in still had the problem. Well this morning I went to look at the print head so i would know which print head to buy as a replacement. I turned on the printer and heard this horrible grinding noise and the printer said the cartridge was jammed so i turned it off and back on to the same horrible noise. I finally gave up and move the print head by hand and it made such a terrible noise. I then took out the print head and immediately noticed that it was to hot to hold for very long. I inspected the inside of the printer and noticed that the piece that the piece that the print head rests on seemed to be slightly deformed. Can this be easily fixed? pic: http://img24.imageshack.us/my.php?image=printhead001.jpg

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear your problem.

It must have a dead short some where for it to generate enough heat to melt the plastic. One word of caution, DO NOT test this print head in a good printer. Quite a few forum members reported that bad print head kills printer.

The print head carriage move the print head and ink cartridges left and right. My guess is to cut the bent part so that it clear the the purge pad and other component on its path. But you do not know the status of print head driving electronics... No point to do the work if the electronics is bad!!

ih8printers

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just don't have any luck with printers. My mp780 seems to have died only after 4 years and my multifunction epson died after only 2 years. Would you have a suggestion to another canon printer with similar capabilities for me to buy? What about these consumer laser printers? Is the technology mature? And do you have a suggestion for the ink? Do the cheap online generic brand cartridges work? I have put easily more money into the ink than the entire unit cost when i bought it new.

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
It's time for a new one. These inkjet printers are not made to last forever. To avoid further loss if you get a new print head it may be wise to toss the MP780 and get a new one. In my own experience it isn't a great multifunction. MP830 is a much better replacement of it. The technology is mature for sure. But the manufacturers don't want them to last forever. They sell the printer cheap and want you to consume ink. The ink is where they make their money. Your MP780 is in a situation too risky to try a new print head.

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
No one can really tell you how long a printer will last. My own MP750 (same model with yours without fax) is still going strong despite having printed ~ 90k pages to it already. This is way past its advertised duty cycle.

ih8printers

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Wow thats insane I wish mine would last that long :(. Do you use canon brand ink or generic ink?

panos

Print Addict
Reaction score
Generic. Mostly canon compatible but also some old hp compatible.

I have replaced 2 printheads so far. Any problems I've had were always related to bad cartridges. Some non-OEM cartridges are really very bad. Since I learned my lesson and only used refilled original cartridges, no more problems.