Printer that can cope with 280 gsm card

Jageoca

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, I make cards and wish to print my name and number on the back and recently purchased the HP PSC 1317 all in one to do this (on the advice of a local store). After 3 weeks the card started to intermittantly stop feeding so HP sent out another printer. After 10 days the problem has arose again but this time HP tell me my card is too thick and say that you can only print on upto 200 gsm card. This is really thin and not good quality for greeting cards, I use 260 gsm and 280 gsm. After a lengthy all day call to HP being passed around the departments, no one there seems able to help advise on which printer would be capable of doing this!

Could someone please tell me which printer (any make) would cope with this weight in card. I work from home and am not a big company so I need something non expensive.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
I seem to remember reading somewhere that HP printers have more problems feeding thick papers because the paper path has a 180 degree bend, and that the "straight through" path used on many other printers is more reliable for these papers. I also seem to remember something about the HP feed rollers getting coated with paper dust or oil from some papers and being responsible for the mis-feeding.

The fact that two identical printers worked for a while (how many pages did you print in that time?) indicates that this printer will work with this paper when the feed rollers are clean. 280 gsm is on the thick end for some printers, but many photo papers are in the 220-240 gsm range. I suspect that your feed rollers are "glazed" and slipping on the paper. Can you use a Q-Tip soaked in rubbing alcohol to clean the feed rollers?