Printer purchase Dilema - New Canon printhead or Printer

john cox

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have a 3 year old Canon Pixma IP6000.

I replaced the printhead about a year ago and due to non use the new one clogged again.
I have tried all the suggestions on the forum to unclog it and I still have a couple of colours that will not print.

The cost of a new printhead is about 50 and the cost of a new printer is about 100.
I was looking to buy a Pixma 4500 but it is not available and I dont like the reviews I read about the 4600, I have been using Inksupply bulk ink refills over the years and still have quite a large supply of CLI-6 inks remaining although they are about 6 months out of date.

My questions are, if you were me would you?

(a) buy a new printhead and continue to use the old ink and perhaps buy some blank refill cartridges?
(b) Buy a new pixma 4600 and wait for a rechipper to emerge for it.
(c) Is the quality of photo printing (thats what I do all the time) on the newer printers like the IP4500 better than my IP6000. I sometimes got light banding on the IP6000?
(d) Are there any other issues apart from printheads and cartridges that can go wrong with the IP6000? I dont want to buy a new printhead and cartridges and still find that something else could be causing my printing issues.
(e) Would you use the out of date ink?

Any suggestions would be greatly welcome,

Cheers,

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
New printhead... no question, no hesitation, no thank you! :)

There's plenty of discussion on here that would answer your various questions but just quickly:

a) Yes... Yes and oooh yes!
b) No, ouch, no, no.
c) iP4500? Hmm... maybe... but not overly so.. the iP4600? Hmm.. maybe
d) Yes... you could have a burned out printhead that has blown your printer.. If this has happened you'd have a dead printer though.
e) Having experienced the problems I've had with Canons and certain inks, No... I'd recommend getting fresh ink and reduce your potential problems by one.

Actually, have you considered that your out of date ink may be the problem along with algae/cloggaed cartridges?

Perhaps get some fresh cartridges and ink and start over?

Hope that helps.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I concur with everything websnail said and would add that you really should use only Canon cartridges. If you are refilling third party cartridges, I would get some used Canon cartridges and refill them or just buy a set of new Canon cartridges.

You might also consider taking the printer to an authorized Canon repair shop to eliminate the risk of buying a new print head only to find that the printer is also damaged. But it will cost you either way.

Just remember, your printer uses chipless cartridges which means that it is very easy to refill every time you refill a cartridge you can add up your savings and "offset" the cost of repairing your printer.

john cox

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi websnail & ghwellsjr

Thanks for these direct answers. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

OK, as most colours are working I will go for the option of buying a new printhead, new Canon cartridges and new ink,
My final question is, what supplier of refillable inks would you go for? I see hobbicolurs in the UK is one of the ones recommended and they seem quick cheap to buy from.

Cheers and thanks again for taking the time to respond.

John

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I use Inktec ink in 1 liter bottles since I vacuum refill about 75 cartridges at one time. For you, I would recommend the small syringe type bottles they sell and I would refill with the German method. Although I have never tried this method, I understand that it is so fast and easy that you really only need one set of cartridges.

john cox

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks ghwellsjr

I will try them and the German method and thanks again for your kind help,

Cheers,

John

john cox

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just an update on how things worked out.

I purchased a new printhead and 6 compatible "appleworld" ink cartridges.
Both came the same day. I was about to install the new printhead and new cartridges. However i thought I would try the new cartridges in the old printhead.
Hey Presto, the printer worked perfectly. I have no need now to install the new printhead but now have it as a spare.

A lesson learned. Install new cartridges before deciding to change the printhead.

Thanks to your advice I am glad I kept my ip6000. I am a very happy camper.

Cheers,

John