Printer power supplies. Canon Pixma ip5000 - no power.

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Canon Pixma ip5000.
It appears to be dead - will not power up, no lights.

How can I diagnose what's wrong - could it be something simple?

I'm also interested in printer power supplies. Computer ones generally work in different computers.
With regard to this printer, I though I might be able to find a predecessor of it and possibly use its power supply, if that's what's wrong. I'd seen bits of an ip4200, and the power supply looks very similar, just from looking at the bottom of the printer, BUT, I've read that yet another printer, the " ip4000 " power supply is different from the ip5000.
Maybe printer power supplies are all different?

Does anyone have knowledge of printer power supplies?
Anyone have power supply knowledge of the Canon range too?

Thanks

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Are you still looking for a power supply for your iP5000? I have one that another forum member sent me for just the shipping charge to see if I could get it unclogged but I managed to burn out the print head and maybe the print head driver, but the power supply appears to work, at least the printer turns on. I could send you just the power supply or the whole printer for shipping cost.

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wow, thanks. :D This is a pretty neat forum / network of printer enthusiasts.
Let me have some time to check (and find) the ip5000 and study what condition it's in and check if the head will flow good on all ink colors. I've been going to mothball this one but have never got around to it :rolleyes:

If it's a huge boat anchor taking up all your room and you have to have rid of it immediately let me know.
Shipping costs may even rule it out, which would be a shame. I've just been holding out for one to show up on craigslist or find one in a thrift store.

Again, Wow, Thanks!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I thought you indicated that your iP5000 would not power up (no lights) and that maybe you would be interested in just the power supply, so how are you going to check if the head will flow good on all colors?

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If water flows through it at a good rate. If it doesn't, then whichever color is slow or stopping the water flow is very likely clogged.
I've still got to get around to this!!!!! Christmas time...

optimizer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks ghwellsjr, I somehow still haven't got around to dealing with the i5000 and I don't seem to be able to find any time for dealing with an inkjet at present (other than emergency), so I'll just have to decline your offer. I was hoping to do a photo rebuild of one. It will have to wait until later in the year. If I find some free time and I find an i5000 on craigslist or a thrift store I might try to make it work.
I very much appreciate your offer - almost like a Christmas present - Thanks!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
OK, I just might decide to take the iP5000 apart to see its guts. It's a lot of fun when you are not concerned about getting it back together.