Printer Minefield - Asking for help

DrJones

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp Deskjet 930c
Thank
Let me pick your bones for a few minutes please, Compatible cartridges and Canon are not compatible and it doesn’t matter how big a warrantee you have.

If you return a printer that is not functioning properly and you don’t use OEM cartridge as standard then any or all warrantees are null and void, (Read the small print), Canon will fix the printer but not under warrantee.

The second thing is your knocking the hell out of all Canon printers on the say so of mixed reviews from owners that probably don’t know one end of a bus from the other, reading them is one thing, but believing them is another.

Again your reading too hard into these reviews that are mostly make by whingers whom most likely have an axe to grind and are not factual whatsoever, you should really get advice from knowledgeable guys who use these printers every day and would give you an honest and unbiased answer.

On the availability of the Canon 6650
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-MG66...TF8&qid=1471204776&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+6650

For most compatible inks in the UK try here: - http://www.octoink.co.uk/

To purchase a good printer, look for one that will do what you want it to do, but if you buy cheap then the running costs are steep, and bigger dearer printers are far more reliable, less wasteful and costly to run, you should also check to see if the printer can be easily refilled if you don’t want to use OEM inks.

Thank you for your input THE HAT, I take your advice well.

Regarding the compatibles - it seems I have been misinformed by a prominent ink seller - from your advice I accept compatibles do indeed void any warranty.

I want to buy a cannon - simply because of the quality of the photo ouputs (as a bonus). I understand what you say regarding the poor reviews - but I would ask you to help me understand something:

Why is the particular spread of user reviews you see online (stars awarded) so consistent across brick and motor retailer websites, amazon u.k & USA, and on the canon store itself?

I am learning - that's why I'm asking for opinions.

Right now - I am thinking of purchasing the Pixma MX925. Problems consistently mentioned by those that have purchased one, used it then found the time to post a review are:

Takes a long time to print?
Ink wastage is (very) extreme ?
Paper Jams (assume dirty rollers - just need a bit of a clean so no biggie)
Slow wifi response
etc.

I am posting this reply not to challenge what you have said - but to have what I have read elsewhere challenged. I want to make the right decision - because whilst I wont be using the printer - I will be having to deal with any problems that come along - and will be refilling/paying for any cartridges.

Once again - I really appreciate any contributions and input members are willing to share,

Doc Jones

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@DrJones, I can sense the frustration in what you’re getting at and can only sympathise with you over the MX925, it’s of a new generation of Canon printers that are designed for the home user in mind.

This new printer is very compact and at most times you can’t see what’s going on inside it, and from your concerns it seems to have quite a few paper jams.

Firstly, when fitting paper into the cassette you need to fan apart the paper, sort of loosen it up to break the edge, and if it still has a tendency to jam in Duplex, then turn the paper over in the cassette, what’s not commonly known is that every paper has two different sides.

The next problem you face is the cartridges on the MX925, they are very small and expensive to replace (XL type), but the printer is designed to print perfectly for you, so it will do a cleaning cycle nearly every time you wish to print, which will waste a lot of time and ink and fill the waste pads very quickly.

Once that happens you have two choices, you can send it off to Canon for a Service and clean and get it back as almost new, or buy a new printer again, as I have said these new models are made for disposal and not for long term use.

So if you want something that will last, print excellent good quality every time, be very easy to use and maintain, and have the added bonus of been able to refill the cartridges time and time again then look to a Pro printer.

Yes, there’re more expensive to purchase but in the long term they are far more enjoyable to use and cheaper to operate but don’t have many of the bells and whistles that the compact models have, like Duplex, scan, Wi-Fi and paper cassettes.

Everyone expects their printer to work every time with very little input from them, just like their iPhone and they can’t understand why it doesn’t, so in response they write a damming review, next thing they’ll want is driverless cars !

Incidentally I purchased a Maxify for my grandson, and when it comes to printers he can kill them off in less than a week and yet the Maxify (Months on) is still going despite his carless and reckless attitude, so it must be better than his last three printers, and you won’t see that in any reviews..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If you return a printer that is not functioning properly and you don’t use OEM cartridge as standard then any or all warrantees are null and void, (Read the small print), Canon will fix the printer but not under warrantee.
Do you mean do not return a printer for service to Canon with

A) refilled or altered OEM Canon cartridges or with compatible cartridges because the tech will see that and void the warranty

OR

B) Canon can tell you have used compatible cartridges even if you return the printer with unaltered OEM Canon cartridges?

------------------------------------------------

@DrJones -- The advice on this forum is to send a printer for warranty service with ONLY unaltered OEM Canon cartridges or else risk voiding of your warranty.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon and their Agents have no way of knowing or telling that you have used compatible cartridges or 3rd party inks in your printer, they are not that intelligent, unless they decide to send the printer back to Japan for further investigation, which is highly unlikely in any event.

The only way they’ll know is, if they see the incorrect or altered cartridges with their own eyes, or your stupid enough to own up to it voluntarily, so always make sure there are only OEM cartridges in the printer when you send it back and stay silent... (I know nothing)

They can however tell if you have been disabling the ink monitoring, in order to fill your OEM cartridges, so don’t disable the ink monitoring till after the warrantee runs out, you can even fit your own printer potty..

DrJones

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hp Deskjet 930c
@DrJones, ..the MX925, it’s of a new generation of Canon printers that are designed for the home user in mind.

This new printer is very compact ... from your concerns it seems to have quite a few paper jams.

When fitting paper into the cassette ... fan apart the paper ... loosen it up to break the edge ... if it still jam in Duplex, then turn the paper over in the cassette ... every paper has two different sides.

... next problem you face ... cartridges on the MX925, ... very small and expensive to replace (XL type), ... printer is designed to print perfectly for you ... it will do a cleaning cycle nearly every time you wish to print, which will waste a lot of time and ink and fill the waste pads very quickly.

Once that happens you have two choices, you can send it off to Canon for a Service and clean and get it back as almost new, or buy a new printer again, as I have said these new models are made for disposal and not for long term use.

So if you want something that will last, print excellent good quality every time, be very easy to use and maintain, and have the added bonus of been able to refill the cartridges time and time again then look to a Pro printer.

Yes, there’re more expensive to purchase but in the long term they are far more enjoyable to use and cheaper to operate but don’t have many of the bells and whistles that the compact models have, like Duplex, scan, Wi-Fi and paper cassettes.

You've hit the nail on the head. The ink pads will saturate comparatively quickly - making the investment a write off - earlier than is reasonable.

If I have understood correctly - It takes a longer time to ready itself, as the print head can print to an extremely high resolution - this also means that it has to be cleaned constantly to stay operational.

With the cartridges on the MX925- are they refillable?

Paper jams - I ignore - as usually just wiping the rollers clean properly normally does the trick.

Canon and their Agents have no way of knowing or telling that you have used compatible cartridges or 3rd party inks in your printer, they are not that intelligent, unless they decide to send the printer back to Japan for further investigation, which is highly unlikely in any event.

The only way they’ll know is, if they see the incorrect or altered cartridges with their own eyes, or your stupid enough to own up to it voluntarily, so always make sure there are only OEM cartridges in the printer when you send it back and stay silent... (I know nothing)

They can however tell if you have been disabling the ink monitoring, in order to fill your OEM cartridges, so don’t disable the ink monitoring till after the warrantee runs out, you can even fit your own printer potty..

For the ink pad saturation/full - I thought the printers just guesstimated it according to ink volume used rather than having an accurate/precise check? If the system simply guesstimates their status - would that not make any ink potty superfluous?

Clearly - canon are combating cheap ink with planned obsolescence i.e 'the inks pads are now saturated - replace the printer'. This will be very successful at realigning their revenue streams.

My eyes have been opened - and I think this thread will inform many in the months ahead.

So here is my question - of the MG5700. 6800, 7700 is the better longer cost benefit payoff? It comes down to the ink pads - and the lifetime of inkpads. Which? Guide in the UK (a consumer rights/consumer testing organisation in the UK) found that this particular range wastes between 141% - 331% more ink when used only occasionally! That is extortionate!

Okay - so here is my final question - which were the last canon MG Range models that could have the waste ink counter reset by owners themselves? There may be a few in the back of stock rooms in retailers warehouses - I just need to know - which ones to search for?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Okay - so here is my final question - which were the last canon MG Range models that could have the waste ink counter reset by owners themselves? There may be a few in the back of stock rooms in retailers warehouses - I just need to know - which ones to search for?
That’s an easy one to answer, all printers before the 550/551 cartridges, like 225/226, CLl-8, BCl-6, PGi-9 and some CLl-42, PGl-72’s

http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...he-poorest-canon-printers-for-refilling.7282/

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
.....Which? Guide in the UK (a consumer rights/consumer testing organisation in the UK) found that this particular range wastes between 141% - 331% more ink when used only occasionally! That is extortionate!......
By keeping the printer always connected to the mains and only turning it on and off using the printers ob/off button, the printer will do much less automatic print head cleaning. This reduces ink consumption and prolongs the life of the ink absorbers very much.

A few Canon service manuals have a technical reference appendix that among other things has a table of ink used and dumped in the absorbers in print head purge in various situations. The iP4200 service manual found here has a such table, at page 2-2 and 2-3. I think all Canon printers for home use behave like this.

Last edited: