Printer for business

rex_p

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have read some of the posts here and it seems that everyone agrees on a Canon ip4000 or MP780. Are these good for a business though? We send printers to our construction jobsites to act as the main black and white printers, but we also need them to print photos. We tried the HP deskjet 9300, but it wasn't so hot. The HP Businessjet 1200n was good, due to network capability and fast printing, but the photo quality kinda sucked. I would like an all in one without having to spend over $500.00, or would I be better off getting a black and white and a separate photp printer? If you have any advice, I would like to hear it. Thanks!

Almost forgot - It needs to be able to print 11" x 17"

Thanks again!
Rex

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
Both Canon models you mentioned would be excellent for a job site, but your requirement of 11x17 eliminates them. A work around would be to continue using the HP1200 for the 11x17 output and get a Canon iP4200 for photos (the iP4000 and MP780 are discountinued and hard to find). If you still have the HP this would be very cost effective since the iP4200 runs between $90 and $130 depending on where you get them. Another route would be to get a Canon i9000 or i9500 but they are kind of pricey. I checked newegg.com and they have the iP4200 for $88 +$9.99 s&h. They also list an MP780 for $211 +s&h

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Don't give up on a MP780 that fast---they are on Sale at FRy's electronics for $150 after rebates again this week. But I still got one question--instead of having a printer at the job site--why not just have a digital camera there and use the PC at the job site to send the digital file to a central location where it can be printed.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
if you need a printer that prints in 11x17, I suggest that you try to find on eBay a used Epson 1160 or 1280. I have bought these for people on eBay as part of my business. Very cheap to buy and operate, and excellent results for photos and blueprints.
When you do find a printer, please post it here and let us know.

rex_p

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. From the sounds of it, two printers seems like the way to go. Osage, your idea is preferable, as is burning a CD and having it done at Kinkos or someplace, but most of the time we need it done right then and there because a General contractor needs to view them right away. I'll let you know which one/s we get.

Thanks!

Rex

rex_p

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
What is your opinion on these two printers -
For Color printing and large media printin (13x19) - Hp Business Inkjet 2800
For Multifunction - Hp Laserjet 7410

They said forget about the photo quality and go for the functionality. The Hp Laserjet 7410 is decent, we have used it, and we like the fact that it can read memory cards, and has a second tray to hold more paper. Is there a newer model though? We have never used the HP Business Inkjet 2800, so if you know any pros or cons, I'd like to know.

Thanks,

Rex