Printer for Büchi B-545

Martin42

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Star Leer
Hello,

We have a Büchi B-545 melting point apparatus that is connected to a Star Leer Model: SP500 Series printer with a parallel cable.
The problem is that the printer writes a lot of gibberish instead of typing what it should be. We have checked the printer settings on the Büchi B-545 device.
I have to admit that my knowledge of the above hardware is very limited.
Can the printer be malfunctioning and should we buy a another printer? Does the printer have to support a specific printer language relative to the Büchi B-545 and which language in that case? The display on the Büchi B-545 shows the following printer brands.
Star, Seiko, Epson, CIDP-460 and HP.
Can anybody refer to specific printers that could be used?

Thanks in advance.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The user manual for the Büchi B-545 is a little more specific about the usable printers. Paragraph 9.2 in this manual has this list of compatible printers:

9.2 Connection of a printer

The following printers can be used to print the measurement
data:

• Citizen
• HP (Laserjet 3 or compatible)
• EPSON (Lx 850 or compatible)
• Seiko (Thermalprinter DPU 411II; in the menu under Epson)
• Canon (BJC-600; in the menu under Epson)
• STAR

I checked the specifications of the Canon BJC-600, and this printer can be set to emulate a matrix printer under DOS. See this. I think the other mentioned printers also have this capability. Epson still makes matrix printers for use when documents are needed in duplicates. But I don't know if the new matrix printers are DOS compatible. Maybe other old DOS compatible printers are also usable?

Any comments from experts in DOS and old printers?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know but I don't think so. The printer seems to be compatible with many old Windows versions, but sadly not DOS.

Normally USB to Parallel port cables are intended for connecting a printer with a parallel port and no USB port to a computer with only USB ports. I don't know if cables that work the other way around are available? Another problem is that most modern printers need a driver, which I think cannot be installed on the melting point meter.

Latest posts