Printer Counterfeiting Piracy --> and the end of the world!!!!

drames

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
http://www.isc-inc.org/

These guys are insane, they have so much legal backing for their products its ridiculous. I know Canon has like +25 000 patents, which allows for such an iron fist to occur.

This might not to relate you guys --> but the same thing is happening in the food industry with genetically modified foods. Only a few companies own so many "patents" on making a single modification here and there in the DNA structure of any given organisms including all of our food.

This is seriously dangerous --> think about all of the power that these printer companies have from the patents that allow them to sell people ink for enormous profits. And that's just printers --> we can all live and breathe without them.

Imagine the HUGE power imbalance that can result when the same patent system is forced upon our food!!!!

A "free" world will end as we become more and more dependent on a few companies that provide us with our basic living necessities.

The epitome of Marxist revelations.

Look at this:

in 2005, Canon U.S.A., Inc. conducted a civil raid against a distributor engaged in the sale of counterfeit Canon toners and toner cartridges, and seized counterfeit Canon products from the distributors warehouse. The defendants agreed to a permanent injunction against further sale of these products and paid significant damages for violating Canons rights.
That came from here

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You do understand that the issue with counterfeiting has to do with the fact that the consumer pays the high price for a Canon toner cartridge or ink cartridge but gets an inferior third-party "compatible" cartridge. Canon is not going after the cheap compatibles, only those that put Canon's name and logo on them which allows them to sell them at much higher prices. That's not insane. They are doing all of us a big favor and it has nothing to do with patents.

drames

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yeah - I get that, otherwise you wouldn't be able to purchase the cheap refill kits in Staples or other stores, and this site wouldn't have existed for as long as it has. But it's not like these companies like the fact that people are using bulk ink either.

Printers don't concern me that much, I was just extending this to the general direction that some important economies are turning to. It's a very sensitive issue when you can have a patent on a type of food that bastardizes the soil in which it is planted in and kills every other organism in that soil except itself.

I think patents are a reasonable way of rewarding innovation, and when used with the correct business model, can really give you a head start for a company to grow. I'm just noting the fact that patents provide an enormous amount of power to those who use them --> and it's very scary that it can be used for food.

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Genetically modified foods aren't the end of the world. In fact it may very well be the savior of mankind. There are two sides to this issue. These scientists aren't fiddling with the genes for no reason, they're doing it to increase crop yields and make the food more resistant to disease. Two things necessary to feed the huge and still growing population of the world. If you're on the "organic" bandwagon and think it's what's going to save the world you're deluding yourself. The organic farming methods are so inefficient you'd have to tear up a whole lot more land, and use up lots more resources like water to produce the same amount of food as conventional farming with gm foods. And there would be fertilizer shortages because we can't raise enough animals to fertilize organic farms without harming the environment further as it is right now organic farming takes up a small percentage of farming and uses more than a fair share of the animal waste for fertilizer, if it were expanded to all farming we'd run out of fertilizer. If you still think organic is healthier, there is no proof that an organically grown vegetable has any more vitamins or minerals than a conventionally grown, so no real advantage there. And as far as the pesticide bugaboo, well newer pesticides are targeting very specific pests and are less toxic than organically approved fertilizers. There's a lot of fear mongering going on, before spreading fear further, it's a responsible person's duty to first understand the issue.

As far as patents are concerned food patents are not nearly as much of a concern for me as human genetic patents, those are overstepping the bounds of the patent system. The companies that patent segments of the human genome are wrong because they didn't create the gene's, those are naturally occurring genes, and they're actually stopping companies from testing for genes that predispose one for various diseases like cancer or hereditary disorders.