Printed Image is Askew on MX922

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When printing envelopes on my MX922 the print is consistently off by 1 or 2 degrees. I'm trying to print my return address with the associated logo and it is almost always crooked. To the best of my knowledge I am loading the envelopes as stated in the manual, the edge of the paper flush with the back of the tray and not touching the vertical post. Does anyone else have this issue and have an idea how I can remedy it?

Skewed Image.jpeg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I checked the online user manual for your printer and noticed it uses the same type of cassette as used on my iP7250, so I examined that cassette. I think that if the envelopes are loaded properly and the side guides are not set too tight, then maybe the pick up rollers are causing the problem because they might have lost some grip due to paper dust. The rollers can be cleaned using a cloth moistened with water or with a special rubber roller restorer. See this post.

If nothing helps, then the free Irfan View image handling program can do a custom fine rotation of images, adjustable in steps of a tenth of a degree. A rotation of 1.5 degrees clockwise makes your logo horizontal. Click to enlarge the image:

MX922 correction.jpg

Last edited:

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Peter, thanks for replying and your suggestion for cleaning the rollers. I had not thought of that and had my day gone as planned I would have gone at it earlier. Will give it a try in the next day or so and let you know how it turns out.

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I got around to cleaning the pick up rollers tonight, it certainly made a noticeable improvement. It is not 100% as one of the test prints appears to be ever so slightly skewed in the opposite direction. I'll test a bit more tomorrow. So while the skew problem may be solved, or mostly solved, the other issue that I've had with printing envelopes is that I get ink smudges on the envelope right where the logo is printed.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You could try repeating the roller cleaning. There might still be some paper dust left on the rollers. Re the ink smudges then see this from the online manual, and do the cleaning operations mentioned in last four items. Hopefully this cleaning helps, else it might necessary to remove the print head and clean the underside of it and also clean the underside of the print head carriage. But this operation is much more difficult than on older printer models, as access to the print head and print head carriage is difficult and limited on this series of printers.

Maybe you can skip the cleaning of the feed rollers from the menu if you do a manual cleaning using a moistened cloth. The manual says that cleaning from the menu causes wear to the rollers.

Adjusting the side guides in the cassette might be critical, so some experimenting might be necessary to make sure the guides are set neither too tight nor too loose.

Last edited:

Charles218

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I finally found time to implement all of the suggestions, here is what I found. Ink smudges are 100% gone, clicking the "Prevent Paper Abrasion" box did the trick. Should I uncheck this box for printing on regular paper? I assume that this just moves the envelope away from the print head.

I could not totally eliminate the skewing issue, though cleaning the rollers seems to have improved it. I had to redo my my file in Indesign, adjusting the logo by 1˚, it now looks fine.

Thanks to All

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil