print quality: high vs fine

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
In the Canon printer driver, under the "main" tab, you have print quality settings. You have high, standard, fast, and custom. If you choose custom it opens up another window where you can choose quality levels from (depending on your printer and paper) 1 to 5, with 1 being the finest. Can someone tell me if "1" in the custom window is the same as "high" in the print quality window? (There is a "help" button in the custom window that's surprising unhelpful!)
Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Can someone tell me if "1" in the custom window is the same as "high" in the print quality window? (There is a "help" button in the custom window that's surprising unhelpful!)
Thanks
Unfortunately no, that setting is the same, but it looks good, so 1 in the custom window is the same as high in the print quality settings, the custom window give you lower print settings combined with even faster printing, its normally called draft mode..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Hat posted while I was preparing this post, but here is my post saying very much the same.
Most of my Canon printer drivers are in Danish language, but the driver for MP800 didn't work from Canon.dk, so I got a driver from Canon US.

Here is the settings window:

MP800 Settings 1.jpg

Selecting 1 Custom and clicking 2 Set opens this window:

MP800 Settings 2.jpg

As explained by The Hat 1 = Fine is the best quality, and 5 = Fast is the lowest quality. The slider allows you to select different compromises between quality and speed. Notice the small "a's". The Fast "a" is pixelated and the Fine "a" is nicely rounded.

jjohnl

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I've always thought that the point of the custom window was to let you choose higher-quality printing. But if "1" in the custom window is the same as "High" in the print quality window, then it looks like the whole point of the custom window is just to let you choose something in between the extremes of "standard" and "high."

This is what my driver looks like. So with the paper I have selected, the custom window gives you 3 choices instead of 2. I've always used the custom window and set to "1" so I'm glad to know I don't need to take that extra step.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 189

Latest posts