Print Jobs Appearing With Streaks Across Them

Mulsiphix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
This is the second HP printer of this same model (HP Officejet Pro L7680) that has become unusable, both suffered the same issue. When the printer is new it prints fine but after a 1000-ish pages it starts to streak. It starts out light and progresses from white streaks through pictures and text to just black streaks across a perfectly white paper. I've tried replacing HP issue ink cartridges, both print heads, and have run all of the printer menu based "maintenance" that is possible. HP customer support suggest I send back this unit for yet another refurbished replacement that will cost me around $100 plus shipping (and this is very heavy). I'm ready to give up on HP and this printer for good. Does anybody have any suggestions for fixing the problem pictured in the link below?

Picture Of Problem
Resized & Compressed: http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5906/streaks.jpg
Original Large File: http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/980/100116.jpg

EdwardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
If the smears are not due to the print cartridge/heads (you say they are new), then I would guess its due to dried ink on the underside of the head carrier. You can buy printer cleaning sheets which are impregnated with some sort of cleaning fluid, which you run through the machine a few times (paper feed button), then do a quick test print (not a full photo). Cleans the rollers too. Might be worth a try.

Mulsiphix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I'll see if I can track one down online. I just bought this thing in February so I hate to see it gone so quick. I went ahead and ordered the Konica Minolta Pagepro 5650. It would be nice to have a color printer around if I can find a way to fix the L7680 8)

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Judging from the photos, I don't think the smears are due to the ink at the bottom of the print head. The smears, due to the ink at the bottom of printhead, is in random pattern. But your photo is so systematically repeated across the whole page.

EdwardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You could be right, embguy. Maybe the head/paper distance has somehow gone out of adjustment, & the head is brushing against the paper.

Mulsiphix

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The more I print with it at this point the worse and more expansive the white streaks/smears become. With my previous printer (same model) it got to the point where almost nothing was legible.