print gamut warning mask in photoshop

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
How can I make photoshop to print gamut warning like it is shown on screen?

I have this special LAB color space chart and I select gamut warning to see what colors are outside my color profile. On monitor that is fine, however I need to print it with the gamut warning masking nonprintable colors. How can I do this?

Thanks.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Smile said:

I have this special LAB color space chart and I select gamut warning to see what colors are outside my color profile. On monitor that is fine, however I need to print it with the gamut warning masking nonprintable colors. How can I do this?

Thanks.
If I understand your question (and Im not sure that I do):
1. Soft proof the same image using your printer profile, then display the gamut warning (graying any colors that are outside of your printers color gamut).
2. Press the Prt Scr key to do a screen capture.
3. Press "Ctrl-N" to create a new (blank) image, then click OK.
4. Press "Ctrl-V" to paste the screen capture into the new image.
5. Crop to suit, then print.

A warning - I suspect that the screen capture/paste operation corrupts the actual color data (at least it did on a test that I ran), so I would first print the chart with the "Absolute Colorimetric" rendering intent (this rendering intent preserves the in-gamut colors exactly, clipping the out-of-gamut colors), then use the grayed-out print from above to manually mark the out-of-gamut areas. You could also create a selection in PS from the grayed out areas on the screen capture and apply the selection as a mask on the original image.

Is this the color chart that you have (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/test-charts.shtml)?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Grandad35 said:
Smile said:

Thanks.
If I understand your question (and I’m not sure that I do):
1. Soft proof the same image using your printer profile, then display the gamut warning (graying any colors that are outside of your printer’s color gamut).
2. Press the “Prt Scr” key to do a screen capture.
3. Press "Ctrl-N" to create a new (blank) image, then click “OK”.
4. Press "Ctrl-V" to paste the screen capture into the new image.
5. Crop to suit, then print.

A warning - I suspect that the screen capture/paste operation corrupts the actual color data (at least it did on a test that I ran), so I would first print the chart with the "Absolute Colorimetric" rendering intent (this rendering intent preserves the in-gamut colors exactly, clipping the out-of-gamut colors), then use the grayed-out print from above to manually mark the out-of-gamut areas. You could also create a selection in PS from the grayed out areas on the screen capture and apply the selection as a mask on the original image.

Is this the color chart that you have (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/test-charts.shtml)?
No I use this chart http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?ProfileEvaluation.html

But I can't use Print screen method because, images don't fit on screen, and because anything you "Print Screen" has low resolution with no way to increase.

I need to print "gamut warning" warning to show on print how good the ink-paper-printer combo is and the mask excludes the colors that the printer can't print. I then can measure the good printable colors with specrophotometer to check if they are within spec of deviation allowed. Therefore this is an easy way to check profile accuracy.

I can't believe that in photoshop there is no way to copy and paste the "gamut warning" mask. If I would need an image for professional pre-press CMYK 300DPI to be printed in a magazine what then, I don't think print screen is the only method because I certainly have seen good quality magazine prints showing gamut warning.

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
Smile said:
No I use this chart http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?ProfileEvaluation.html

But I can't use Print screen method because, images don't fit on screen, and because anything you "Print Screen" has low resolution with no way to increase.

I need to print "gamut warning" warning to show on print how good the ink-paper-printer combo is and the mask excludes the colors that the printer can't print. I then can measure the good printable colors with specrophotometer to check if they are within spec of deviation allowed. Therefore this is an easy way to check profile accuracy.

I can't believe that in photoshop there is no way to copy and paste the "gamut warning" mask. If I would need an image for professional pre-press CMYK 300DPI to be printed in a magazine what then, I don't think print screen is the only method because I certainly have seen good quality magazine prints showing gamut warning.
I dont know an easy way to do this with Photoshop. Your request isnt something that I have ever seen before, but here is how it can be done (this assumes that you are familiar with PS, layers, masks, etc.).

The test images in the link are 569x569 pixels they easily fit on almost any monitor at 100% (1 pixel on the image = 1 pixel on the display). I took the 40%L image , activated the gamut warning, did a screen capture, pasted the capture into a new image, cropped to suit, then copied it as a new layer on top of the original (I wish that I could post some sample images, but the originals are copyrighted). Deactivate the gamut warning and copy the original background layer to a new layer directly on top of the background layer (the background layer cant accept a layer mask), but under the screen capture layer. Set the opacity of the screen capture layer to 50% so that you can see through it, then use the Move command to align the screen capture layer directly on top of the original. Set the opacity back to 100% when done. Activate the screen capture layer and use the magic wand with a tolerance of 5 and Contiguous unchecked, then click on any of the grayed out circles to create a selection of the gray circles. Make the background layer invisible, activate the background copy layer and create a layer mask on that layer using the selection. Invert the mask (Ctrl-I) and you now have a mask that passes only the in-gamut colors. You now need a gray background layer behind this layer, so create a new layer just underneath it and fill it with a (R/G/B) 127/127/127 gray. You should now only see the in-gamut colors (at least, this works for me). This will create an image that can be printed in a magazine (or whereever).

If you have an image that won't fit on your display at 100%, scale it to fit on the screen (Ctrl-0) and do the screen capture. You can then change the size of the captured image to whatever you want using the Image Size command (Ctrl-Alt-i) before copying it onto the original image. You could also copy it onto the original image and use the Free Transform command to dynamically scale the layer.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Grandad35 said:
Smile said:

I don’t know an easy way to do this with Photoshop. Your request isn’t something that I have ever seen before, but here is how it can be done (this assumes that you are familiar with PS, layers, masks, etc.).

The test images in the link are 569x569 pixels – they easily fit on almost any monitor at “100%” (1 pixel on the image = 1 pixel on the display). I took the 40%L image , activated the gamut warning, did a screen capture, pasted the capture into a new image, cropped to suit, then copied it as a new layer on top of the original (I wish that I could post some sample images, but the originals are copyrighted). Deactivate the gamut warning and copy the original “background” layer to a new layer directly on top of the background layer (the background layer can’t accept a layer mask), but under the screen capture layer. Set the opacity of the screen capture layer to 50% so that you can see through it, then use the “Move” command to align the screen capture layer directly on top of the original. Set the opacity back to 100% when done. Activate the screen capture layer and use the magic wand with a tolerance of 5 and “Contiguous” unchecked, then click on any of the grayed out circles to create a selection of the gray circles. Make the background layer invisible, activate the “background copy” layer and create a layer mask on that layer using the selection. Invert the mask (Ctrl-I) and you now have a mask that passes only the in-gamut colors. You now need a gray background layer behind this layer, so create a new layer just underneath it and fill it with a (R/G/B) 127/127/127 gray. You should now only see the in-gamut colors (at least, this works for me). This will create an image that can be printed in a magazine (or whereever).

If you have an image that won't fit on your display at 100%, scale it to fit on the screen (Ctrl-0) and do the screen capture. You can then change the size of the captured image to whatever you want using the “Image Size” command (Ctrl-Alt-i) before copying it onto the original image. You could also copy it onto the original image and use the “Free Transform” command to dynamically scale the layer.
Thanks for detailed explanation, I tried and it works. But it can't be automated (as screen captures need to be aligned by human eye) and is very frustrating and time consuming to process all 11 files separately. If I put them to 1 A4 file it will not fit on screen either.

It's bit a surprise to me that photoshop does not allow to save or print what you see on screen. Isn't there other software packages that show “gamut warning” and allow to print it normally?

EdwardM

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Smile.
Yes, there is an easy way to create a printable image with out-of-gamut shown as any colour you wish.
Switch on gamut warning, choose select/color range, and click on the magenta out-of-gamut colour.
Press Ctrl-C, then Ctrl-V to create a new layer from the selection - in other words, this layer contains only the out of gamut colours.
Deselect.
Switch on 'Preserve Transparency' Lock (Layers Palette) on the new layer, and paint all over with the colour you wish to use as the mask (I suggest a different colour than the o-o-g magenta).
Check that no colours have been missed by switching gamut warning on again & see if the two masks (the o-o-g magenta & your new one) match up.
If not, just repeat the select/cut/paste/paint on the missed colours & merge the layers.
Voila - you should now have the full gamut warning on its own layer.

Best,
Ed.

rarebear

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Select Color Range and make a mask of gamma color area and then fill with color you want to show gamma warning and print..