Print cost Canon non-oem 251 vs HP 8610 (951 inks)

Rose Chenn

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5520/ MP620 & HP 8610
http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...-non-oem-from-two-dealers-251-221-inks.10296/ <<< My last post
This post is about the end user cost for a HP 8610 oem vs Canon non-oem.
The reason I purchased the HP 8610 was at the time I got fed up with Canon ink drying up. I am not going into too much details, but the HP 950/951 ink use this new system like the newer Canon inks. There are channels inside, a bag reservoir, and a plate to compress the ink out. Being so the ink can stay inside unused for a LONG time. How long we are talking about, the starter lasted me 10 months vs Canon 4-5 months. The HP ink comes UNSEALED. Just a ink in a box. NO vacuum bag, no end cap. Ya I know, it sounds crazy. I even called in HP thinking the ink was bootleg from Staples.

Now I have been keeping my numbers from print to tank size. This might be more details then you wanted.
2.8 oz- Normal 950 Black Ink Cartridge 1000 page yield 24ml
3.1 oz Starter
4.1 oz 950XL Black Ink Cartridge 2300 page yield 53ml
4.6 oz = HP instant ink

1.3 oz Normal 951 C/Y/M Ink Cartridge 700 page yield 8.5ml
1.4 oz Starter
1.8 oz 951XL Ink Cartridge 1500 page yield 17ml
2.0 oz HP instant Ink

The ink that came with the printer is "slightly bigger then normal size" . I am sure this is to created a false illusion to make people think the "normal ink replacement is what they need" LOL

Now with that kind of numbers, one would assume the starter black would get me AT LEAST 1000 pages. Since the XL hit 2300. My actual count was 788. It was a tad lower then what I would expected.

Color starter I achieved 418. One would expect at least 600, if the starter was bigger then the normal inks.

Print count normal page 788 black / 397 color. 19 photos 4x6. There was a few "power outage", so system wasted ink during reboot 5-12x and I did printed about 4-5 full size photo. Most black and white was just a small coupon.

Now what does the number means? Well with my current "life style". I am sure a XL set would last me at least 14 months. But that full set of OEM ink would cost me $140 at least.
OR I can use HP instant ink for $4.99 per 100 print, with a maximum roll over of 100. That would be about $60 per year and I can print ALL 8.5x11 maximum DPI ink.

Pro, ink is pigment so it last longer. Water resistance, fade resistance, can highlight. Real HP INK. HP printer use email base printing. Each printer is a @hp.com, this allow it ti always be connected even if IP address is changed.

Cons: Not as bright as Cannon.
----------------------------
Canon pros: 3rd party ink is cheap, I can have four-five sets of good inks for under $40 (not refilling), colors are better. CD print tray. Better grays on higher photo printer.

Canon cons: Dye doesn't play nice with highlighter, fear of bad ink clogging print head, Canon Cloud Print is IP base and get reset often.

Canon PGI-250XL PGBK 22 ml rated 500 pages
CLI-251XL C/Y/M 11 ml rated 650-700 pages vary by colors

--------
After thoughts: If I knew the numbers, I would just purchased another Canon with a SquareTrade to cover the printhead. I can deal with the highlighter issue. As long as photo do not fade in 4-6 years under normal condition, I am ok with it.

If I have kids and just want to print out lots of items for fun, school, etc. Then I would surely go with HP. Their ink is decent for "everyday" usage, and for the cost of 1200 full colors 8x11 for $60 prints, it becomes a great deal.

I also printed out two sets of pictures and been doing a East side window fade test in Florida. I will update that soon for us.

Attachments

• IMG_2696.JPG
    IMG_2696.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 320
  • Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 319
  • Linkyo Canon.jpg
    Linkyo Canon.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 311
Last edited: