Prices of 3D Printers

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
I looked at 3D printers quite a few years ago when there were a few guys locally building their own. At that time outside of the maker community no one had heard of 3D printing. Of course there were no commercial models available at that time. I was interested in other things and decided not to get involved.

This forum has rekindled my interest. There are now lots of models available at a lower cost than I expected. I'm still not sure about getting involved right now because it may take over my spare time, but also if I wait longer prices may have dropped further and I can buy a better model.

This forum must have a few members that have been considering buying a 3D printer for some time. Do you think prices are still continuing in a downward spiral? Is price/performance improving all the time?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The current model that everyone is trying to get their hands on is heavily discounted right now, but with the onset of black Friday it may get a little cheaper, but then you’ll be sorry you didn’t get it sooner, a small saving is not worth the wait. :oops:

I was very sceptical about the 3D printers at first for several reasons, like they made only toys and were far too expensive, boy was I wrong, mine came in three boxes too, very well packed, and delivered to the door in 4 days, purchase price, taxes, customs and delivery, was just short of €300. ;)

Most of my inkjets on average were around the €900 mark, plus delivery.. :eek:

FryingSaucer

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX725,MB5150. 3D:Anet A8
mine came in three boxes too, very well packed, and delivered to the door in 4 days, purchase price, taxes, customs and delivery, was just short of €300.
So it was more cost effective for you to purchase from the US, or was it just not available in the EU?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I'm sure prices will drop a little, but I can't imagine they dropping too much... especially for the ones in the $200 - $300 price range.

I think the bigger issue is definitely your time. It's quite a time-suck. Maybe once I get bored of designing and printing I'll forget about my printer and regain my life back ;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Maybe once I get bored of designing and printing I'll forget about my printer and regain my life back ;)
Even so, it will always be there ready to make something nifty for you! What more could you ask. :thumbsup

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The only other option is divorce...:D
Try that with Mrs. The Hat and you'll find yourself in a burlap bag heading over the Powerscourt Waterfall! :eek: