Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Get a new print head.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Before buying a new one, try finding a used iP4500 on Craigslist or other model with the same print head. Use it for the parts. The 4500 my daughter is using is a Craigslist find.

Another crazy thought is to check out your local Goodwill store. It's about time where people donate their "old" iP4500 class printer after they bought a new printer thinking newer is better. You'd get it for dirt cheap and may end up with a decent print head and OEM carts to boot.

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
msmart said:
Before buying a new one, try finding a used iP4500 on Craigslist or other model with the same print head. Use it for the parts. The 4500 my daughter is using is a Craigslist find.

Another crazy thought is to check out your local Goodwill store. It's about time where people donate their "old" iP4500 class printer after they bought a new printer thinking newer is better. You'd get it for dirt cheap and may end up with a decent print head and OEM carts to boot.
I got the same printhead in my MP610. So buy second hand and pray the printhead is in good condition? I've heard 75% of people is using genuine ink only so there is a chance it might work! Stupid you can get a complete printer for cheap but have to pay big time for a printhead only ;)

erpp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks Msmart and Inkoholic for the good advice. I am already working on it.
Logistics might be a problem - I live in Caracas, Venezuela - but I might get a fried in the US to buy it for me, and send me the print head.

Thanks again,

inkoholic

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
erpp said:
Thanks Msmart and Inkoholic for the good advice. I am already working on it.
Logistics might be a problem - I live in Caracas, Venezuela - but I might get a fried in the US to buy it for me, and send me the print head.

Thanks again,
You know how to clean the printhead? It may or may not need some cleaning, depending on the previous owner. Rinse with hot tap water and let it soak in Windex (or any other ammonia based window cleaner). Other methods exist as well ;)

My guess is it's better to transport the printer as a whole and not remove the printhead until you get it delivered. As long as the head is parked in the printer, it is safe and remaining ink will not dry and clog. A clogged printhead is an unhealthy printhead ;)

erpp

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To close this topic, I would like to add that the printhead came out to be at fault.

Someone was kind enough to furnish me a spare printhead. The missing Pigment Black array in the nozzle test came back again, as soon as I installed it.

The printer has kept working well.

Many thanks to all those that helped in the resolution of this issue.

Hope this thread may be useful to someone.