Please share experience: Canon Pro9500 MK II and Epson R1900(or R2000)

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nothing worth mentioning.
Hello, I'm quite new to this forum, and joined in the hopes of getting a bit more input to help me with my decision, and once I've got a printer to hopefully contribute as well.

I'm looking into buying either the R2000 or the Pixma Pro9500 MK II.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the colour prints of the R2000(or R1900) with those made with a Pixma Pro9500 MKII? Please share your thoughts in regards to the quality of the colour prints and any other comments you may have about these printers.

I want to print (mainly) colour prints, greeting cards and postcards.

Many thanks.

Edit:
Side note: my first printer was a Star LC24-10 followed later by a HP Deskjet 720C - which I blew up by hooking it up to the scanner card instead of parallel port - and nothing since then. So the home printing I've done, generally looked like newspaper print. I was recently give a Canon MP250 with enough ink left to make one A4 colour print. Then I thought "oh, get a CIS!...hmm $100 more, get another printer..." which finally led me to the R2000 and Pixma Pro9500 MK II.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
If your primary concern is to get a CIS, then go for the Epson over the Canon... If you intend to use OEM or can handle refilling then the Canon is back in the game...

I really wouldn't recommend a Canon with a CIS though for reasons discussed at length throughout the nifty-stuff forums.

That's just some initial thoughts but I don't have anything for you comparing the two printers on performance... I'll let others tackle that bit.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
R2000 is the one if panoramas are important to you because Canon, for some reason, cripple all their small and medium format printers as far as panoramic printing goes :(

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the replies.

At present CIS is not my primary concern, as I am unable to say how much I will print. In addition, I am not in the position to be experimenting with different inks either - I think I should learn how to use the printer with OEM carts before I can start doing that. And by the time I print enough to consider using a CIS, I will probably be able to afford another printer :lol:

What I want to do (for starters):
- A3+ prints in small quantities
- print postcards and greeting cards

The panorama print option on the R2000 is one of those things. I know that if I don't have that option, I will at some point go "doh...why didn't I buy the Epson?!"... but my main concerns are having A3+ prints that look good and to be able to print cards that survive being posted(though the paper/card used is supposedly the main thing here). I might also at some point have a great BW image...""doh...why didn't I buy the Canon?!".

Basically, would I regret getting the R2000, if I see a colour print made by the Pro9500 MK II? And does either have an advantage over the other in regards to printing postcards?

Going from thinking about a CIS for the MP250 and deciding to buy one of these printers was quite a step - the Epson R3000 is currently out of the question. Although there are some good offers out there - however I expect the printing costs on the R3000 to be higher (using OEM carts) compared to the R2000 and Pro9500 as well.

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
Canon is easy to refill. so another another point to bear in mind.

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Redbrickman. I just read up on refilling the carts for the Pro9500 - just drip. Is it really non-invasive and so simple?

Re. panoramas - according the Pro9500 manual, the max print size is 12.95 x 26.61" (rear) and 14 x 23"(front) - that' enough for me.

As I mentioned earlier though, I'll be sticking to OEM carts for the time being. So it really boils down to quality of the colour prints. Are the Pro9500's much better than those of the R2000(R1900)?

Redbrickman

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150
I don't have any experience of filling the 9500 carts but there is another way other than drip filling.

"The Hat" one of the more experienced using the 9500 has developed a method similar to filling the CLI-8 carts, and it's much quicker than drip filling.
I'm sure he will be along soon, in the meantime here is some more info (see The Hat's post half way down)

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4746&p=3

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ChakonariThanks Redbrickman. I just read up on refilling the carts for the Pro9500 - just drip. Is it really non-invasive and so simple?
First off I dont know anything about the Epson R2000 except its probably cheaper than the 9500 MK II.
The Pro 9500 works best with OEM cartridges and refilling couldnt be easier.

I have used two different ways to refill these cartridges, one is to drill a very small hole in the bottom
refill with syringe and seal up the hole with hot wax, the other is to dribble ink into the outlet using SquEasy bottles.
:love
Each method work perfectly well and is a matter of choice to the individual,
one thing to note is dont ever try to refill the cartridges from the top it doesnt work.

Here are two threads with pics for you to digests and ponder.
You wont be disappointed with the Pro9500 print quality even when using it with I.S. inks..:)

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=31634#p31634
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=44195#p44195

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks guys, you're making life really easy for me - or not :rolleyes:

Inspired by your comments on refills, I did even more reading and am now I'm leaning towards the Canon. Just some reported issues that put me off:

- border around large prints on fine art paper (supposedly fixable by using matte paper setting, but then requires other tweaking for the colours)
- gloss differential and bronzing effect (I prefer matte and satin, but if the buyer wnats shiny, I have to be able to give shiny) - supposedly not a problem with original Canon paper, so must be possible with right setting and other paper too.
- supposed problems with dark blues (I'll be printing quite a bit of sea and sky)
- shorter durability of colours
- overall water/smudge resistance of Lucia ink vs UltraChrome HiGloss 2

I intend on selling my prints to average consumers(not high end art collectors.... for now :) )

The initial cost of both printers including an extra set of OEM carts are the same from sources available to me. The ink cost per ml is also around the same. But I don't know about their ink usage, not only for prints but maintenance/on-off switching etc..

Edit: After more reading: The border issue when using fine art media only applies when using Canon's "Art" setting and does not apply for other manufacturer's papers with their own profiles.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Chakonari
Lets start with the border issues, there are none when printing from the back tray,
that said youll have to tweak for some of the fine art papers when using them from the back tray.

Bronzing can be a problem when not using Canon paper with Canon inks, but I use I.S. inks exclusively
which I have found work much better on a bigger range of glossy, Satin and Canvas boards and papers.

There is no problems printing any colours that I have noticed and by using a paper that is best suited to your needs
smudging wont be a problem either, all of the prints are water proof and light fast so are ideal to sell on the open market place.

The cost of OEM ink is bit of a joke, so 3rd party inks are a better alternative to use with this printer.
The Pro9500 has no maintenance cost that I am aware of apart from an extra set of cartridges and a resetter,
the OEM cartridges never need cleaning and the print head on my printer has never clogged once in two years of use..:)