Please recommend a printer for me!

PBnJ

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Help! I am currently bogged down in researching what printer to buy.

I have been reading many reviews here trying to make up my mind, but I still feel lost.
I am a homeschooling mom - so I need a printer that will do some moderate printing. I DO want a color printer. I want to print occasional color off the internet, and also I'd like to be able to print occasional photos. (Like printing off snapshots for the grandparents a couple times a year or so) I don't mind refilling - actually, I would probably prefer to do that - I'm looking for very cost-effective printing. I don't mind an older model or used printer, as long as it does the job!

I have owned a Lexmark printer (Never again!!), and an HP, which I loved, but unfortunately it's model # escapes me. Currently I have an HP Deskjet D1341. It has teeny-tiny cartridges. When I refilled them recently, it ran out of black within a week or two, and the color refilling didn't work for me. I do not like this printer at all. :(
I also have an HP copy machine - so I am used to HP machines, and actually thought I'd prefer one. But it seems that perhaps their quality has gone downhill since I've last purchased one?

Bottom line - I want a reliable machine, that's not too expensive to use.

TXAvi8tor

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
9000 II (x2), Pro 100, IP4500
What's the largest paper size you want to print? Do you want a multi-function printer (some combination of print/scan/copy/fax)? I presume not, because you already have an HP copier.

My recommendation would be a Canon ip4200 or similar that uses CLI-8/PGI-5 cartridges:
iP3300 iP5200 MP510 MP800 MP960
iP3500 iP5200R MP520 MP800R MP970
iP4200 iX4000 MP530 MP810 MX700
iP4300 iX5000 MP600 MP830 MX850
iP4500 MP500 MP610 MP950
Copied this list from ebay, so I don't guarantee its accuracy, but another forum member will likely correct it as required.

Generally, you can consider these models as durable, reliable devices with easy-to-refill cartridges (search 'German method' on this forum) . Most or all of these models are now discontinued in favor of newer ones with smaller, more expensive cartridges, but many are readily found on Craigslist and ebay.

I just bought an iP4200 with almost-full Canon ink tanks (likely the originals) on Craigslist for $20! It's in perfect shape and prints both text and photos quite wonderfully. Max paper size is legal (8.5x14 inch), and with a $20 CD tray (again, from ebay and overpriced), and a little fiddling, you can print on printable CD/DVD's, if that matters to you.

hth,

Larry

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you want an even better used printer, look for one that uses BCI-6 cartridges such as the i860, iP3000, iP4000, MP750, MP760 or MP780. The advantage of these printers is that they don't have chips in the cartridges that make it more difficult to refill. Your best source is craigslist because you can check the printer out before you commit to buy. Of the printers in my list, the ones starting with "i" are just printers where as the "MP" types are all-in-ones (but they have different features such as fax and autosheet feeder).

Let us know where you are located and more specifically what you want.

PBnJ

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The paper size I would be using would be the standard 8.5 x 11 inches, for the most part. It doesn't have to be an all-in-one. The only feature (besides printing :0) ) on an AIO I would use would be the scanner. CD printing capability sounds interesting...my husband would probably love that. I definitely like the idea of cartridges without chips.
I am located in Northern California.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Northern California is a big country. Those of us in Southern California consider anything north of Santa Barbara as on our way to Northern California. I checked craigslist in the bay area and Sacramento and found a couple iP4000's and an iP3000 for sale at very cheap prices. If they were close to me, I'd buy them.

Have you checked craigslist in your area? Look for iP3000, iP4000, and iP4000R if you don't want an all-in-one.

repjr1959

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Epson will do nicely I find that the prints from any Epson are pertty darn good, much better than Cannon printer.

repjr1959

sllowmail

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Canon printers are cheap but their ink carts are expensive. Try using printers that can use compatible carts or using OEM carts which can be reset. The OEM carts in IP4200 can be reset whereas the there are compatible carts for PGI-820 and CLI821 carts.

PBnJ

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks to all your replies. I've been looking at Craigslist in the bay area and saw a few that look interesting.
Thanks again - now I don't feel so lost! :)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Before you commit to buy, you want to make sure the seller claims that the printer is in perfect operating condition, has no empty cartridges and that you can see the printer in operation. You should do a nozzle check and if possible an extended nozzle check. Let us know which printer you want to buy and we'll post how to do the nozzle checks. It would be good to ask the seller to do the nozzle checks just to avoid a long drive for nothing. If any nozzles are clogged, you may have to spend a long time unclogging them or you may have to buy a new print head for over $55.

PBnJ

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks and update...I was able to find a NIB mp780 for $75, and arrange for friends to pick it up and get it to me. (I live in the boonies!) I am very excited about my new AIO - Thanks for your recommendations!!!