Please recommend a laser printer for my daughter at college

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for looking.

My freshman daughter wants a laser printer for her room to save her the hassle of walking across the campus to the computer lab. While I'm all for her getting exercise, I understand the hassle.

I don't care so much about the upfront cost but reliability and operating expenses are a concern. Something with a big, easy to rebuild toner cart would be nice.

Wireless is preferred, followed by Ethernet and next USB. With the right add-ons I could make an old parallel port work but then working drivers become an issue for the newer versions of Windows and MacOS.

Again, thanks.

Keith

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
Office Depot in my area has a huge clearance rack of various laser printers on clearance for 50% off or more. While I usually recommend not buying electronics from them due to their no returns on technology policy (not even store credit - only an exchange for same model or nothing), you may want to stop by and see what models they have. Write down the toners used, then see if you can get refilled ones for a good price. I've found aftermarket toner carts tend to be the same price or even cheaper than refilling them yourself. I got a HP P1505 on clearance the same way a few years ago and Monoprice has them for $20.

I'm assuming you mean monochrome, though I did see a Samsung CLX and an HP Laserjet 100 (both color) on clearance too.

kgvickers

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Yes, monochrome is what I'm looking for. And actually I won't be refilling myself - I'm hoping "easy to refill" means inexpensive on ebay.

Thanks for the tip. I'll go by Office Depot and take a look.

Cheers,

Keith