Please recommend a 2nd/backup printer

Frankd1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am in the process of disassembling my MP530 to get at the purge unit and I thought it would be a good idea to have a 2nd printer available especially as I am building a house and will have a computer in my shop in the basement and another in the office upstairs.

I was wondering if I could get recommendations on a decent Canon all in one printer. My wife and I use it for document printing in black and white as well as color, we also print the occasional photos.

If possible I am looking for a unit that uses the PGI-5bk and CLI 8bk/c/y/m cartridges as I already have a set of new in the package OEM's to be used in my MP530 when its up and running, I also have another set of OEM's for refills and I will be using the refill kits from Precision Colors.
I know Canon does not make these PGI 5 and CLI 8 cartridge based printers anymore but I'm sure there are some out there.....and in the event that my MP530 packs it in I can use the PGI5 and CLI 8 carts in that printer!

My brother is looking at an MP560 but it uses the new style cartridges which is fine for him but I was hoping to stick with what I already have.....

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!!

JoePineapples

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
a MP610 is a good printer if you want to reuse your old CLI-8 carts it's basically the last all in one that uses the CLi-8 carts (bk/c/y/m)

I'm just looking for a replacement for my IP8600 and I'm looking at the MP970 as a possible option (bk/c/y/m/pc/pm)

Joe

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Your plan to stick with the PGI-5 & CLI-8 is solid for a host of other reasons in addition to having the cartridges already.

The CLI-8 and PGI-5 machines will likely end up being hoarded.

I have an MP970 and I think it's gotta be one of the best AIO offered, high performance scanner and photoprinting yet still able to perform office tasks equally as well. If you can find one, don't resist. Lacking Fax WiFI & CD printing though.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The latest list of Canon's that print CD's at http://pixma.ulmb.com/?p=105.

Looks like someone wrote some software to enable CD Printing for some of the new(er) models.

The MP560 sadly does not do CD printing.

Frankd1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I found a new MP610 for around $160 + shipping, not sure if thats too much $$ for that printer though.....

I also found a new MP530 for the same price...

Frankd1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It seems that it is difficult to find these PGI 5 and CLI 8 cartridge based printers anymore, and the ones that are out there - MP530 and MP610, although brand new in the box, are around $160.00 + $20 or $30 shipping (ebay) which is more or equal to the new PGI 220 and CLI 221 based printers.

I think I may buy one of these new printers as a second printer, I found the MP560 for $120 and $150 depending on the source, an MP620 for $100 and $110, and an MX860 for $129 and $149.

Any thoughts on any of these new printers? Precision Colors sells the ink to refill these carts but I will have to disable/overide the ink monitor system until such a time as a chip resetter becomes readily available for these carts....

I am confident that I will get my MP530 up and running again, I completely disassembled the printer and removed the main unit/chassis from the base and discovered that the PGI 5BK drain tube is completely caked in dried and gummy ink right where it is supposed to come out and drain into the waste pad, hence no PGI print during the nozzle checks - I have yet to remove the unit itself and check the other tubes but thats next. If I can't clean out the purge unit tubes then I will simply order a new purge unit from Canon for $25 and I'm back up and running......

I will post the pictures I took of the clogged tube, its quite interesting the mess I discovered and due of course to using aftermarket ink cartridges with who knows what kind of ink in them......lesson learned! I will only refill OEM's from now on!

mharris127

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have heard good things about the Cannon printers. If you refill ink carts and are willing to re-chip them after every fill then another Cannon is a good buy. If you can't find a Cannon, I have had good luck with Brother AIO printers. You can buy refillable carts on eBay and if you don't want to mess with refilling the aftermarket carts are cheap for them. Also, no running to the local Staples for copies as these printers have a copier function.

My only complaints about the Brothers are that you can't use the fastest print speed without clogging up the heads (a couple of cleaning cycles takes care of that), just use a slower print speed to prevent this problem and that they do print a bit slower than most at about 5ppm black or 4ppm color. Brother claims that there is a waste ink tank that needs to be changed every so often -- however I haven't run into that problem in 5000 pages and 200 pictures. Good thing, I can't seem to find a source for these tanks. The advantage to the Cannons (as mentioned above) still use a waste pad, so if the purge unit doesn't clog like the last poster had happen, you just replace the pad with a sponge and you are on your way. If I couldn't get a AIO Brother, I probably would use a Cannon myself (Cannon is getting into the AIO business although their version does not fax). They are both excellent products (unlike the newer HP print-only models that sell for $35 and the cheap Lexmarks and Epsons aren't much better).

Frankd1

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks mharris127!

I actually ended up finding an Mp760 on kijiji, this printer was lightly used and in like new condition, best of all, I got it for $20 and the seller threw in a brand new Samsung black and white laser printer (ml 2010) for free!

I have an MP530 that I disassembled to track down a problem with the purge system....well I found the clog but I haven't had the time to clean and replace the tubes and ink sponges but its on my list of things to do....

I also have an IP4000 that I took off of my parents hands, the printer head is in the process of going through several soaks and cleanings outside of the printer so I should have this one back online shortly! I found them a brand new, still sealed in the box MP560 once again on kijiji for around $50!