Please help me choose an Inkjet color printer / scanner for linux - A4, €300

erik

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG2455
I would like to order a printer and I would be grateful for some help in choosing a model. My budget is up to €300 +/-.

My operating system is ubuntu 20.04. I would prefer a device that is supported by TurboPrint.

My top criteria would be a printer that does not require an internet connection, that connects via USB to my linux laptop. I don't want a subscription for ink, I don't want a phone app, I don't want to register with the manufacturer. If possible I would avoid vendor software altogether apart from any necessary drivers.

I am looking for an A4 sized color printer with a scanner. This would be used mainly for my kids to print off assignments for school, once or twice per week, including text, images, and photos, in color and black and white. I'm not especially concerned with the print quality, it doesn't have to be professional, more everyday use. I would like a sturdy device that would hopefully last for many years with low running costs. I don't need duplex printing.

I do have one special use case that it would be nice if the device could support. I print a page displaying guidelines in blue. By hand I draw over the lines in black ink. I scan the page (at 600 dpi) and use software to discard the blue and retain the black line drawing for further digital retouching. With my old printer the trickiest part of this process was that the printer shrunk the image before printing it, and after scanning it I had to scale it back up to its original size. So ideally I would like a device with the capability to print 1) at a fixed resolution, no scaling and/or 2) right up to the edge of the paper, no margins.

I would be grateful for any advice.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don't do Linux but maybe this will be of help.

I searched on Google - "ubuntu 20.04 canon printer drivers" and the top returns were

https://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2020/05/canon-printer-scangear-mp-ubuntu-20-04/

https://itsubuntu.com/how-to-install-canon-printer-driver-in-ubuntu-20-04/

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1244361/printer-drivers-for-ubuntu-20-04

Undoubtedly there is more to be mined from Google, including changing up the search a little.

If you read of a printer you are interested in then go to the web page for that printer on Canon's web site, go to Downloads and Drivers, look in the drop down box for Operating System and see if Linux or other usable driver exists for the model.

erik

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG2455
Many thanks for getting back to me!

I am way past the question of simple linux compatibility. Linux supports thousands of devices, I was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations based on the criteria I mentioned.

So far I am gravitating toward the Epson ET-2720 so I started a separate thread in the Epson forum to ask specifically about that machine:

Epson ET-2720 - Any Feedback?

Many thanks again for your help!