Plastic or Glass picture frames

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Which is better in picture frames for fade resistance, plastic or glass? The plastic I am asking about is-
Acrylite OP-3 P-99 which is an Ultaviolet Filtering Museum Quality non-glare matte finish.
I would think that the plastic would give off gases that would harm the photo, where the glass would not give off any gases.
Al

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
I understand that even the photo paper ink combination gives off gasses that can harm the photo.

voodoo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I find plastic is hard to clean, although it's tough and durable and wont shatter. Museum quality glass is always my preferred choice for picture frames. However, it depends on if you intend to then send the picture frame through the post make sure you pack it well. The other thing to consider is what mount board you are going to use, make sure it's acid free and uses conservation board , otherwise you may find that over time the mountboard may affect the artwork.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Big_Al said:
Which is better in picture frames for fade resistance, plastic or glass? The plastic I am asking about is-
Acrylite OP-3 P-99 which is an Ultaviolet Filtering Museum Quality non-glare matte finish.
I would think that the plastic would give off gases that would harm the photo, where the glass would not give off any gases.
Al
I think this is just a storm in a picture frame.
Use whichever is cheapest for you as the differences are minuscule.
The pictures will probably out live you anyway.. So guarantee what guarantee.. :lol:

qwertydude

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I would stick with the tried and true glass. The plastic if it's museum quality wouldn't give off gasses anyways, since it's probably polycarbonate. One tip though, print out two copies, let both air out in a warm environment for 24 hours, and put both in the frame so if one starts to fade you know there's a backup. The backup I recommend putting in an archival protective sleeve. This will protect it as much as possible and sandwich it between the original and the backing board.

Big_Al

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
qwertydude said:
I would stick with the tried and true glass. The plastic if it's museum quality wouldn't give off gasses anyways, since it's probably polycarbonate. One tip though, print out two copies, let both air out in a warm environment for 24 hours, and put both in the frame so if one starts to fade you know there's a backup. The backup I recommend putting in an archival protective sleeve. This will protect it as much as possible and sandwich it between the original and the backing board.
The idea of putting a second copy behind the original is a good idea, thank you.
Al