Pixma Pro-100 power on?

tom6667

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Just got my Pro-100 about 2 weeks ago. I am new to Canon, having abandoned my previously loved Epson Artisan 1430 due to print head failure.

I hear a lot of motor sounds, even after printing only one photo. Is this ink-wasting cleaning, or other maintenance that I don't understand? Upon startup it makes a lot of sounds too. Is it better to leave the printer on all the time or shut it off after a print session?

Thanks, Tom

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Yeah, it's performing a cleaning cycle (as well as some other self-testing and calibrating upon start-up). It's best to leave it on and print every few days to avoid waste ink during cleaning. I believe there's a timer in the printer that initiates a cleaning cycle if printing isn't done every X hours, but I don't know what X is...

Perhaps someone else on the forum can respond about X?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A few Canon service manuals include a technical reference. This reference has info about when cleaning cycles are performed and the amount of ink used. The cleaning depends both on a timer and a drop counter. A service manual for the iP4200 that includes this technical reference is found here. See page 2-2 and 2-3. Sadly most service manuals don't have this technical reference and the service manual for Pro-100 seems nowhere to be found. But I think the Pro-100 probably behaves like other Canon dye printers regarding cleaning cycles.

I have noticed that keeping a Canon printer always connected to the mains and using only the printer's on/off button causes fewer cleaning cycles and a slower increase of the ink absorber counter "D-value" compared to disconnecting the printer from the mains after use.

Disconnecting the printer from the mains disables the timer and counter, so a cleaning cycle is performed at the startup of the printer. The power supply produces lower stand by voltages when the printer is connected to the mains but not turned on. The timer and counter need these stand by voltages to remain active. The printer has no backup battery to keep them active.

Maybe the Pro models have back-up batteries? If so you should be able to disconnect them from the mains without triggering extra cleaning cycles.

Last edited:

tom6667

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
A few Canon service manuals include a technical reference. This reference has info about when cleaning cycles are performed and the amount of ink used. The cleaning depends both on a timer and a drop counter. A service manual for the iP4200 that includes this technical reference is found here. See page 2-2 and 2-3. Sadly most service manuals don't have this technical reference and the service manual for Pro-100 seems nowhere to be found. But I think the Pro-100 probably behaves like other Canon dye printers regarding cleaning cycles.

I have noticed that keeping a Canon printer always connected to the mains and using only the printer's on/off button causes fewer cleaning cycles and a slower increase of the ink absorber counter "D-value" compared to disconnecting the printer from the mains after use.

Disconnecting the printer from the mains disables the timer and counter, so a cleaning cycle is performed at the startup of the printer. The power supply produces lower stand by voltages when the printer is connected to the mains but not turned on. The timer and counter need these stand by voltages to remain active. The printer has no backup battery to keep them active.

Maybe the Pro models have back-up batteries? If so you should be able to disconnect them from the mains without triggering extra cleaning cycles.

I actually never considered unplugging it from the wall. I only meant shutting off with the power button, which of course doesn't really "shut off" anything electronic these days. Thanks for your comments!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@tom6667, when you use a Canon printer there is another way of shutting down your printer, in the Preferences you can specify how long you want your printer to stay on after you have finished the last print job.

It is true as suggested that you should avoid unplugging the printer from the wall, to avoid unnecessary ink maintenance, and this can also be avoided by using your printer at least every two days even if it’s only for a nozzle print...

tom6667

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
@tom6667, when you use a Canon printer there is another way of shutting down your printer, in the Preferences you can specify how long you want your printer to stay on after you have finished the last print job.

It is true as suggested that you should avoid unplugging the printer from the wall, to avoid unnecessary ink maintenance, and this can also be avoided by using your printer at least every two days even if it’s only for a nozzle print...

Yes, and I just found out that it doesn't work if you're connected via wifi.

tom6667

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Thank all of you for your helpful advice!

MangoDew

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
N/A
tom6667-so is Epson STILL having issues with their print heads? Ugh! I am asking because I am trying to decide if I should purchase a Canon Pixma Pro 100 or an Epson SureColor P400. I would absolutely LOVE to get the Pixma Pro 100, but the only downfall is from what I have read and heard from the company itself, this particular printer is not programmed to print borderless12x12, which is the size I need to print out my digital designs. Can you PLEASE tell me if you can print borderless 12x12 using the default software? Also, I was literally moments from purchasing the Epson Artisan 1430 until someone from another forum recommended this site. I am glad I didn't (as of yet). Thanks so much!