Pixma Pro-100 - error 5100 on startup

Printguy

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
The printer fails to position the printhead, causing a 5100 error. The timing strip is pristine and has been wiped with isopropyl alcohol as a precaution, yet that did not help. The behavior is the same if the carts are removed.

The printer is practically new, with less than 50 printouts and nearly full ink carts. No visible mechanical issues.

This video shows the problem <-- link.

Any ideas?

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
If the strip is clean and without tears or scratches (which would be rare, being a printer quite new), you have still a few likely 'culprits':
- loose cable connector; paper debris obstructing the carriage movement ; one or more ink tanks incorrectly seated in their slots ; faulty motor ; logic board damaged ; mechanical problem of the carriage ...
A loose cable, paper debris or some carts not properly installed are easy to spot and fix. I bet you checked that already. A hardware problem ( motor, logic board, carriage, ) it's a very different matter and very expensive to fix. Not worth the expense, IMHO.
Anyway, you didn't say if you purchased this Pro-100 new; printing 50 sheets without issues and then the error 5100 triggered or else you purchased the machine second hand and the error appeared before you could print anything.
In the first case, the printer should be covered by the warranty. In the second case, the vendor must have known beforehand the condition of the machine and you should be entitled to a reimbursement.
Or maybe it's a very different scenario ? Please, elaborate a bit.

Last edited:

Printguy

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
If the strip is clean and without tears or scratches (which would be rare, being a printer quite new), you have still a few likely 'culprits':
- loose cable connector; paper debris obstructing the carriage movement ; one or more ink tanks incorrectly seated in their slots ; faulty motor ; logic board damaged ; mechanical problem of the carriage ...
A loose cable, paper debris or some carts not properly installed are easy to spot and fix. I bet you checked that already. A hardware problem ( motor, logic board, carriage, ) it's a very different matter and very expensive to fix. Not worth the expense, IMHO.
Anyway, you didn't say if you purchased this Pro-100 new; printing 50 sheets without issues and then the error 5100 triggered or else you purchased the machine second hand and the error appeared before you could print anything.
In the first case, the printer should be covered by the warranty. In the second case, the vendor must have known beforehand the condition of the machine and you should be entitled to a reimbursement.
Or maybe it's a very different scenario ? Please, elaborate a bit.
Thank you, but you're stating the obvious.

It is no longer under warranty, and it broke before my very eyes: it printed fine and then suddenly quit. The behavior is the same, if I remove the carts completely.

maximilian59

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-1000, Pro-100s, Xp-7100
To me it sounds as if the printhead is not properly released from the parking station. There is some sort of a latching mechanism to keep the head in place after shut down. There is also a loud clack, as if the it snaps of something. Please look in the parking area, whether there is some which shouldn't be there. I now other small Canon printers, where the release mechanism has a malfunction or something broke or is not in place.
Cheers,
Maximilian

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The printer fails to position the printhead, causing a 5100 error. The timing strip is pristine and has been wiped with isopropyl alcohol as a precaution,
This has all the hallmarks of dirt on the timing strip, so clean the timing strip again if you haven’t already done so, pay particular attention to the right side of the strip, guarantee that’s your problem..

P.S. Clean both sides please..

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
Did cleaning the strip work????
I gotta know, that video was crazy, she sounded like my wash machine when I was all my jeans....heh

Printguy

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
Did cleaning the strip work????
I gotta know, that video was crazy, she sounded like my wash machine when I was all my jeans....heh
No. The strip is immaculate. Plus, some dirt/grease on it would not cause such behavior. It is like the strip is not being read at all.

Slagathor

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 10, MG5320
No. The strip is immaculate. Plus, some dirt/grease on it would not cause such behavior. It is like the strip is not being read at all.
Sorry to hear it man....
Wish I knew what to do....