Pixma MP980: 6C10 error

Jeffro Jones

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mp980
Greetings to the forum:
I'm just wondering if there is any knowledge on fixing/clearing a 6C10 error on my old Pixma MP980.
I understand it is to do with possibly full ink absorbers.
I tried blotting excess fluid out of a pad to the right of the printer cartridge assembly, and that seemed to work for a week, but since then the error has returned, and I cannot clear it.
I've tried re-cleaning the pad and resetting to "factory defaults", and tried to reset the memory to clear the error, but have had no success.
I'm thinking I may need to dismantle and properly clean things, but cannot locate a MP980 service manual.
There is an old link to a FTP site on this forum, but it times out.
I found a service manual for the MP950, which is not quite the same, but it may give me some guidance if I have no other option, I guess...
Any advice appreciated :)
cheers!

printer_error.jpg

Jeffro

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The error codes about the ink absorber pads are 1700 and 5B00. The 6C10 code is "Valve cam sensor error". It is related to the purge unit. The pads you cleaned were not the ink absorber pads but purge pads, that are part of the purge unit.

Sadly the site ftp.mail.racs.co.bw is no longer active. I did a search and found no free manuals for download, but here is the service manual and parts catalog at 5$ for a commercial download.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Some very general steps to take in the link below. Have no idea if any will cure your error.

http://printertechies.over-blog.com/2019/05/how-to-fix-canon-printer-error-code-6c10.html

Found a video that identifies and resolves a 6C10 Cam Sensor Error. It is a different printer model but the principles should be same or similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0tb07N1dIo

Service Manual or not, be sure to record each step of the way when dismantling the printer to get at the cam valve. Consider taking pictures or video and number each part and the orientation it was in before removal as some parts need a specific positioning.