Pixma MP600 PGBK test pattern problem

pbgvdad

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MP600
Exactly every other column of the lower half of my Pixma MP600 PGBK test pattern is missing its horizontal lines. The top half of the PGBK test pattern is fine. Any idea what is causing this and the simplest/cheapest way to correct it? Thanks.

I have deep cleaned the print head and have removed the head and cleaned the PGBK slot with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and compressed air.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
This is an electronic failure of the print head, and no amount of cleaning will clear this error. Only a new print head might help.

When a Canon print head fails in this way, there is a risk that it damages the logic board. A damaged print head can damage a new print head, so replacing the print head is a gamble. I think your chances of success are best if the print head just failed, and the failure is not caused by cleaning the print head outside the printer by water, Windex or similar.

The print head parts number is QY6-0061-000, suggesting the print engine is the Pixma 5200, a very good printer in my opinion. If the print head failure is not related to cleaning the print head outside the printer and a reasonably priced print head can be found, I would try replacing the print head if it were my printer.

This might be the best offer for a new print head: http://www.crc-tasktron.co.uk/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=61 . According to the website, the company doesn't ship outside the UK, but you could try contacting them and ask if they are willing to ship to your country if you are not located in the UK.

Edit: There is one thing I forgot to mention: There is a very slight chance that the error is caused by a bad electric contact between contact springs in the print head cartridge and contact pads on the printed circuit board on the back of the print head. You could try to clean the contact pads and contact springs with a rag moistened with an electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ant